Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Arthritis in the Knee Question

Options
13»

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    No, it was initially for bursitis in my shoulder but my therapist showed me other uses, mostly stretching and twisting, that helps prepare me for my routine exercises, including those for my knees.

I made my own by purchasing a 4' piece of closet dowel-rod and putting rubber caps on each end to pretty it up.

I had an interesting chat with an orthopedic surgeon regarding my knees though. I've always been under the impression that I was damaging my knees more by using them, especially when they hurt. Not true, he said. In fact, that's why they encourage movement/exercise.

Florida Mike emailed me some knee therapy exercises that he said would help. They're easy enough to do and seem to help. They are stretching exercises. I'll be happy to share them with you if you think they will help.

I'm seeing my orthopedic surgeon tomorrow morning to see what kind of temporary relief is available. With the Oklahoma and Texas Eggfests coming up it would be nice to have some good knees for all that standing.

Spring "Stand Up, Groan, Stretch, Cook Something, Groan, Sit Down" Chicken
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    Hey Leroy,

So sorry to hear about your knees. I can empathize as my wife, Lyn, is having a similar problem in her right knee. She's scheduled for a series of three injections to get some relief (I'm unable to remember the name of the medicine).

Best of luck and good wishes to you!
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Thanks.

Did you see my followup post over on the main forum?

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=844156&catid=1

The reason I posted over there is because of what the doctor said about delaying knee replacement. I wanted everyone to see it. It got my attemtion very quickly because at my age and medical history I could easily develop another condition that would disqualify me from knee surgery. Then I'd really be in a mess for the rest of my life.

It sounds like Lyn is not that far along with her problem and can easily be treated with less invasive procedures, but if it continues to get worse, don't put off having the knees replaced.

Hopefully, the injections will work for her, at least for now.

Wish her well for me.

Spring "Knee Bone Connected To Knee Bone" Chicken
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    obesity and knee problems .....lots of weight on joints that weren't designed to carry that kind of load....?