Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect setup Question

Options
llrickman
llrickman Posts: 654
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Im going to do a couple butts this weekend my niece is going to be in town and has never had food off the egg.

I have a plate setter , AR , Spider,16'' drip pan , a smaller drip pan and a 13" pizza stone.

My question is how should i set it up this is the first low n slow ive done since i got my AR and spider

Should i just use the plate setterand 16" drip pan or should i use the spider and the pizza stone (haven't used wither yet) and the small drip pan with the AR ?

Thanks

Larry
2 LBGE
Digi Q
green Thermapen
AR

Albuquerque, NM

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I would use the plate setter, legs up, a drip pan covered in foil, and the regular grid. No need for the pizza stone.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning Larry:

If you are only doing two butts, the platesetter (feet up) with drip pan would work fine. If doing more than two, the AR would probably work better.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    either way would work, you just need to get something between the meat and fire even if its just the pan
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Either the plate setter or the adjustable rig with a barrier.

I use a stainless steel, heavy duty deep dish pizza pan.

Chicken here but I do butts the same way.
    chicken1plug3rdeyeplug.jpg

GG
  • GoonSlapper
    GoonSlapper Posts: 106
    Options
    GG, do you mind me asking what those T handles are in your bird?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I hate it when I post in the wrong spot.

Anyway, I had to go look up the official name. I was fortunate to be able to test these "Probe Hole Plug's" out late last year.

I use them when I pull a temperature probe out of the meat or after checking temperature with a thermapen.

When a probe is pulled or temperature is checked if the meat is moist one will see a lot of juice seeping out of the hole. The plug helps prevent the leakage. I love them and use them all the time.

You can go to Thirdeye's site and see them here Probe Hole Plug

GG
  • GoonSlapper
    GoonSlapper Posts: 106
    Options
    That's cool. Thanks for the info.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    two butts, I suggest the rig with stone and drip pan on level 1.5, lowest bracket setting. then bge grid atop the rig. this set up will give you ample spacing between lump, stone/pan and grid. You can fill the fire ring with lump, if you like.

Plus, if you need to access the lump to add wood chucks, just lift the loaded rig out and cooker is empty. I like to add a chuck atop the burning lump when loading the butts. Lifting the loaded rig makes this easy to do.

tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.