Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KINGSFORD VS LUMP

Options
db
db Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've done some experiments in my "other" smokers to see if there was a difference between the two. Lump produced no noticeable flavoring.
Kingsford gave me a light smoke flavor that was easily covered by rubs sauces etc. It wasn't the most pleasent flavor, but wasn't too bad.
I did a rib roast tonight in the egg using Kingsford (out of lump). The off taste was very pronounced. Not good. The other day I posted about the smell of incomplete combustion when I shut the egg down while doing steaks. There was Kingsford in there that day. I'm sure that's what I smelled. Anyone know where to find lump in south Kansas City. My usual source quit carrying it.
db[p]

Comments

• Tanker Tim
    Options
    db,
    I've never tried regular charcoal in the Egg
    shoot me an email and I'll pass on a couple of places
    that you can order lump from[p]TT

• olblue
    olblue Posts: 42
    Options
    db,
    I've tried kingsford, because no one actually said what would happen if I didn't use lump. In the small BGE, it didn't get that hot, maybe 300, 350 max when it was all glowing.
    The small doesn't seem to get as hot as its big brothers anyway. So I never tried it again. I did not notice any off flavor though

• Bryan
    Bryan Posts: 53
    Options
    db,[p]If you have a True Value Hdwr store near, they will order it for you. I can't remember the stock number, but it is located in the archives somewhere as I remember it being mentioned here several times. I get mine at a T. V. I have to give him about a week lead so when I look as if I'm running out, I give him a call. He doesn't stock it himself, but doesn't have any trouble getting it from the warehouse. If you need the stock number, e-mail me and I will call my source and get a stock number for you. I think the whole chain uses the same stock numbers. It ain't BGE, but's it's cheeper and does pretty good.[p]Bryan

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    db,[p]A briquette (even a top quality one) is composed of carbon dust and (at the very least) a binder used to hold the dust in the briquette shape. Most briquettes also contain a pyrogenic compound to help ignite it and a compound to change the color of the briquette once ignited (ashing over appearance). The pyrogenic and coloring compounds are applied together to the surface of the briquette. None of these things contribute to better flavoring the meat.[p]I can't help you on your quest for lump. I was in your shoes once. Only once :-). Good lump is worth gold. My best to you. [p]Spin
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    ol-blue,
    Try calling Royal Oak at 1-800-241-3936 for distributors in your area. BTW I did hamburgers tonight and my small got to 150* past the 750* mark using lump. That should be close 900-1000*

• Teslamania
    Options
    db,[p]Earlier posts indicate that you can buy lump charcoal from True Value or Servistar. The stock number is 145607. I have used their charcoal before (buckeye brand I believe) and it is made by Royal Oak, the maker of BGE lump. Some can taste the difference, I can not. I don't know for certain if the above stock number is the same as the buckeye brand. Check it out.

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    JJ,[p]I regularly achieve similar temps with my Small BGE. I think I posted the other day that I may do a bit of overkill by removing all old charcoal from the previous cook then scooping out all of the ash. I then add some fresh lump and top off with the old stuff. Make sure you fill the chamber to the near top (at least a few inches past the air holes). I place one Weber fire cube under the grate to start the fire and if I leave the bottom vent open and the cap off, I can always achieve temps that lap the 800* mark and even go beyond the F on the thermometer. I've also reached 150* the second time around.[p]While I can't compare this to the temps achieveable in the Large, I just wanted to reiterate JJ's sentiments that high temps definitely can be achieved with the Small. I bet you can get those temps even without completely cleaning it each time like me but if you're not getting those temps, use the above method and I guarantee you'll lap the thermometer.
  • db
    db Posts: 103
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I've got a true value close by.
    db[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    db, e.mail me your zip code and I will see what I can dig out for ya..I had a hunch reading your "smelly" post that there was either a daid cat in thar..or somebody primed it with a buffalo chip!! :-) I use Ozark Oak primarily and True Value is also excellent.
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    db,[p]Lump charcoal is available from True Value Hardware stores item #145607 or ServiceStar Hardware #66990. You will normally have to contact the person with the "stock number book" and have them order if for you. It takes 3 days to get it here. Its about $8.85/20lb bag and is made by Milazzo. Its very good stuff.[p]Tim
  • Randman
    Randman Posts: 31
    Options
    db,Smoke and Fire in Stanley, Ks. Midwest Fireplace in Olathe, Ks. Pool and Patio (Hasty Bake)near Oak Park Mall in OP. There is a place in Lee's Summit, though I can't think of it's name. I am using True Value now and it is okay, but has lots of small pieces compared to these others.
    Some of the local Sunfresh groceries carry Royal Oak. Hope these help. I have bought from them all.