Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time Pork butt Smoke....

Options
impag10
impag10 Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking at smoking about an 11 LB pork butt with bone in, in a Large egg. About how high should I fill the egg with charcoal in order to not run out? Seems like 220 degrees is the right temperature for it. Any other advice?

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Just load it up to past the bottom of the fire ring.
    220 is good, but that will be about 240 at the gauge.

Good Luck. It will be great!
  • impag10
    impag10 Posts: 66
    Options
    when loading it up is it possible to overload it? Also, should I trim the fat off the outside of the butt or leave it on? thanks
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Don't put too much thought into it. There will be plenty of lump. Bring it up to the top or a little higher of the firebox/firering line.
    If you trim the fat you will have more edible bark, but many folks including me just leave it on. It comes right off after cooking.
  • BlueHorseShoe
    Options
    I would leave the fat cap on and smoke the butt fat cap down. The cap will help hold in moisture and protect the underside of the pork. It will trim right off when cooked properly.