Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Seared Ahi Tuna....what temp and time

Wino
Wino Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Want to do Seared Ahi Tuna tonight. What temp should I do this at. 750 like Trex or lower. Second, raised grid or lower. Third, how long per side. I was thinking around 550 on a raised grid with the lid open, but have never tried it so any help would be great.
Thanks
Wino

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Wino,
    I think if you want true seared on the outside, and sushi red on the inside, you will want a full hot bed of coals. I'd be lookin at wrappin the thermometer past 750. You should be able to get a good sear with less than 2 minutes per side. I think I get a better sear with the lid closed, and the vents full bore.
    Have fun! I love tuna that way, but very few of my guests, or my family, want it rare. People are askeered.
    Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Wino
    Nature Boy,
    That is what I love about this forum, quick helpful answers. Would you do it on the raised grid or drop it low over the lava?
    Thanks Chris
    Beers while cooking and wine with the tuna :)
    Wino

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Wino,
    Depends how rare you want it. Closer to the coals and a hotter fire for a quicker sear and a more rare interior. On a large egg I would not go any higher than the regular grate height. The mini would be the perfect cooker! 3 inches from the coals is sear heaven.[p]Not beer thirty here yet, but I can feel it comin on. Enjoy the tuna! What are you serving it with? Pickled ginger and Wasabi? Or what?[p]Happy cookin
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • KevinH
    KevinH Posts: 165
    Wino,[p]Last weekend I seared 1.5-inch thick tuna steaks. I cooked them on the lower grid, at 700 degrees, for two minutes per side. Wound up somewhere between rare and medium rare. It was perfect.[p]P.S. Be sure to use a long glove, or you could lose some forearm hair at that temperature.
  • Wino
    KevinH,
    Been there done that with out a glove. The smell of burning hair is so sweet. LOL
    Wino

• Wino
    Nature Boy,
    Doing a recipe out of the July Bon Appetit Q issue.
    Seared Tuna Steaks with Wasabi Green Onion Mayonnaise.
    If all goes well will post it. By the way what DP rub would you do with seared tuna?
    Almost beer thirty.
    Wino

• Wino, Why sear it? Because maybe you've had it that way and thought it very good? Or just observed it on a TV program?[p]Do some tests on small pieces; 10 sec, 20 sec, 30 sec, etc. to determine your preferences. 1/4" thick samples should surfice. [p]I've done this and saved a large piece from junk by NOT over cooking..