Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what to do with gas grill

mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
About a year before I got my medium egg, I purchased a new shiny char-broil grill. Since the egg happened, I have used the grill once for a chicken breast. It was such a disenchanting experience, I bought the mini for those single chicken deals and the gas grill sits in it's green cover as a delightful home for spiders. Has anyone used their gas grill since they got the egg? Should I just sell the thing? I don't know seriously if I will EVER use it again! If you have used it...what have you used it for (and do NOT say storing the ash tool!).

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    MollyShark, One of two things..keep it for a spare warming oven, or advertise and sell it. Hide the egg when you do as inquiring minds will want a explanation..:-)
    C~W[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    MollyShark,
    Since last July, I have used my gas grill 3 times. Mainly as a backup for doing corn on the cob, or once wings when my egg was full of food. [p]Otherwise makes a good table.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    I keep my grill brush in my gas grill. It stays nice and dry under the cover.

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    MollyShark,[p]I'm somewhat in the same predicament myself. I have a patio off of the second level of my house that I have a gas grill on right now. I couldn't get myself to put a charcoal grill up there due to the potential hazard of the hot charcoal on the floor of the patio/deck, whick also doubles as the ROOF of the back portion of my house. I went to clean up the upper deck the other day and the grill had been blown over by a big storm a week or so ago. I tried to start the grill just for grins and found that the element was shot and rusted to pieces. I'm debating whether or not to spend the $30 on a new element now or wait until I absolutely HAVE to have it. I don't want to give up the grill up there, it works for parties etc. that we have up on that deck. However, I have not used it in at least 8 months when I used to use it constantly before the egg. I'll keep it though as it will get used.[p]To somewhat answer your question, I have a medium egg and for large parties where I want to grill for a number of people I have occasionally used the webber that I have for cooking more bulk than the egg will allow me to cook. I've used it to keep egg food warm as well. It doesnt cost you anything to keep it and if its not in the way, why not? However, you could sell it and get some other cool egg tool. I've made the decision to keep my other grills, each of them have their purpose but the egg is definitely my main cooker now. [p]Troy
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    MollyShark,[p]I think it depends on a few factors. Do you wish to recover the space now occupied by your gas grill? Are you feeling like you now have too many grills? Are you mainly concerned with the fact that you rarely use it and are "wasting" it? Do you want the cash that it's worth?[p]I can think of some uses for the gas grill. As NB and CW suggested, maybe as a warmer for some items while cooking the good stuff on the Egg, maybe as some emergency grill space, or maybe to do some burgers while slo and lowing on the Egg. Another possibility is if you have a big party you can use it to mass produce food.[p]Those being said, it sounds like you already have a nice setup with a Medium and a Mini. You can prob low and slow on the medium while cooking the burgers and dogs on the mini. If you choose this route, you can follow a few routes. Sell old gassy and use the proceeds towards eggcessories, use it to store eggcessories, or slowly break off pieces of the gas grill and cook 'em on the Egg.[p]The possibilities are infinite![p]Cornfed
  • Cornfed
    MollyShark,[p]I think it depends on a few factors. Do you wish to recover the space now occupied by your gas grill? Are you feeling like you now have too many grills? Are you mainly concerned with the fact that you rarely use it and are "wasting" it? Do you want the cash that it's worth?[p]I can think of some uses for the gas grill. As NB and CW suggested, maybe as a warmer for some items while cooking the good stuff on the Egg, maybe as some emergency grill space, or maybe to do some burgers while slo and lowing on the Egg. Another possibility is if you have a big party you can use it to mass produce food.[p]Those being said, it sounds like you already have a nice setup with a Medium and a Mini. You can prob low and slow on the medium while cooking the burgers and dogs on the mini. If you choose this route, you can follow a few routes. Sell old gassy and use the proceeds towards eggcessories, use it to store eggcessories, or slowly break off pieces of the gas grill and cook 'em on the Egg.[p]The possibilities are infinite![p]Cornfed
  • Fingers
    Fingers Posts: 37
    MollyShark, I use mine as a hot plate to keep things warm while the rest of the meal cooks.
    have a big cook coming up a week from Sunday Pulled pork,Hot wings, and Shrimp. plus veggies, and dessert.
    Fingers

• RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    MollyShark,
    I have a rotisserie with my gas grill. I have used it a hand full of times for added capacity. I use one of those little metal chip boxes to get some flavor to the meat. This is how I used to cook Jerk in B.E. time. (Before Egg) Ol’Gassy also has a side burner that boils the best corn. In the middle of August it is best not to have water boiling on the stove inside.[p]Believe it or not, there are actually people in this world who do not like a charcoal flavor on their food. My mother is one of them. There are times when I fire up Ol’Gassy and overcook some meat for the few.[p]Keep it around just so you do not forget,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• Cornfed
    Cornfed,[p]Damn double post! When these scripts were written by matt wright (I think that's the name) many, many moons ago, they were so cool on there own that they didn't require ultra modern features like simple error checking![p]OK...done venting...[p]perl-schmerl,
    Cornfed

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Cornfed,
    Do you really think it's possible to have too many grills? JCA

• J Appledog
    sprinter,[p]The Appledogs, too, have concerns about putting a grill on a deck. One of our neighbors burned hisdeck (and almost his house) from some hot coals that came out of the bottom of a Weber kettle. The people who live right behind us burned their last house to the ground because of one of those outdoor firepits which was on on their deck.[p]Today, at the office, we received our summer Grill Lover's catalogue. It includes a "Protective Deck Shield" described as an all-steel rug. There is also a "Heat Resistant Grill/Smoker Pad" that comes in a 30" round & a 30" X 42" rectangle. They have a grillion other cool must-haves as well.[p]BONE appétit! J Appledog
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    J Appledog,
    I think that KennyG would say, “No”.
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    J Appledog,[p]Thanks for the warning. A buddy of mine does some welding and I got a big piece of flame resistant stuff from him. I have the grill on a big sheet of plywood with a sheet of thin metal on that with that stuff on top of it. Might be overkill but I like my house.[p]Troy
  • J Appledog
    RhumAndJerk,
    I know that to be a fact! ...I think that we have 8 or 9 in varoius locations. (We have to borrow a gas one, though, for an upcoming class that we are teaching). JCA

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Cornfed,[p]Too many grills/cookers?? Now that's inconceivable!! When they follow me home I just have to keep em. BTW, J Appledog has more that I do.[p]K~G

• Char-Woody
    J Appledog, your a wise young beautiful lady! :-) Does that magazine have a website..if so e.mail it to me, please, huh, woooodya?
    About 3 weeks ago some homeless people were using a Weber pot in a unused warehouse in Des Moines, Iowa. They succeeded in ruining whatever they were cooking along with a full city block of resturaunts, and warehouses. No kidding, that was on wicked BBQ...
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Cornfed
    KennyG,[p]Both you and JCA are sick, sick, sick!!! And I envy you both tremendously :)[p]Cornfed
  • Cornfed
    J Appledog,[p]Of course not. I just wanted to throw that out as a test. If MollyShark had said yes, I would have then known that she's just gone temporarily insane.[p]Just kidding,
    Cornfed

• J Appledog
    Char-Woody,
    Check out www.grilllovers.com XXOO

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Cornfed,[p]No not sick. It's just a well known condition that can be kept under control with the proper medication. I believe it's barley malt, hops, mountain spring water, yeast, etc or something like that.[p]K~G

• King-O-Coals
    King-O-Coals Posts: 510
    MollyShark, my gas burner costs nearly a grand, and I have used it once for an overflow crowd of inlaws. The last time I used it,, I kept the butter melted for some reason down at Guru's beach house. It's all stainless and since the EGG,, I have cleaned it to a shiney sparkle. Very impressive. It's like a pig with lipstick on,,, kinda pretty, but serves no real purpose.. But I will keep it around. It would make a beautiful hi-tech Martin house if I could get a large crane into the back yard to lift it..

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Ok. I'm convinced. I'll SELL the damn thing. I'm having a warming oven built in the new house and who needs an albatross in the backyard. Any, uhh, offers? Comes with a plastic cover!?! Uhh..no?

• Char-Woody
    mollyshark, I wonder if the house installers need a outdoor warming oven? Hint!! Good suggestions about keeping it for a party cook. [p]
  • J Appledog
    KennyG,
    Don't forget about the grape juice! JCA