Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ONO charcoal

oldguysrule
oldguysrule Posts: 22
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone every heard of ONO charcoal? If so, has anyone used it?

Comments

• LostinQn
    LostinQn Posts: 21
    I just finished using up my 2nd bag of Ono charcoal.

Overall i like it, its basically a milder form of mesquite. There is some flavor ,but not as much as you would see with a mesquite charcoal. i did a 16 hour smoke on a pork butt last week, and had no issues. Overall i would rate it comparable or slightly better then royal oak. The royal oak i tried, had to many rocks/debris in it.

I should note i live in Arizona so its impossible to find most of the charcoal that is recommended here, without ordering it by the pallet. A bag of weekend warrior or ozark oak for example would cost me 2$ per pound to get it shipped to phoenix, unless i order by the pallet. In arizona its pretty much mesquite or a specialty shop which puts charcoal at 1$-1.25$ per pound.

Pros: High temps possible 900+, very large chunks in bag offset shorter burn, mild mesquite like flavor.

Cons: higher ash production, shorter burn times, less dense then hardwood so more chips & dust are created.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Where you at in AZ? -RP
  • LostinQn
    AZRP wrote:
    Where you at in AZ? -RP

I live in Mesa, but travel for work, at the moment i am in flagstaff and its rather cold for a desert boy! think the reptiles and bears have it right, just take a long nap over the winter ;)
  • AZRP
    Did I meet you at the BBQ Island fest? -RP
  • LostinQn
    Nope, the 13th was my birthday So we did the family thing. as a new egger i really wanted to go to that. I am thinking of picking up the class they have in a couple months.
  • AZRP
    They are a great bunch of guys and have the finest BBQ store I've ever been in. Too bad you missed the fest, it was a great time. -RP
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    You might find this review of lump by the Naked Whiz useful.
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag91.htm
  • nm

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• I find it to be a bit better than regular Mesquite, which I would never use to smoke meat. Still a bit harsh compared to Oak lump.

I really want to taste the hickory smoking woods when I add them to a long cook, Ono somewhat steps on that flavor IMO.

If it is all you can find, do what you have to do.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• mukl
    mukl Posts: 66
    Still using my first bag....2nd cook. It gets hot, but seems to burn more. I like the consistency of Weekend Warrior and will be going back to it.