Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook boston butt, have questions.

Options
Tomjohn
Tomjohn Posts: 45
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The butt was very tender and moist. Smoked to internal temp of 200. There was not a smoke ring and a very light smoke flavor. I used BGE lump three chunks of hickory and two cups of apple chips, how do i get more smoke flavor.

Comments

• BlueHorseShoe
    Options
    Was the meat cold?
  • BlueHorseShoe
    Options
    I ask that because meat will only take on smoke at certain temperatures. To increase the "smokeness" try putting the meat on the smoker cold. The longer it takes the product to heat up, the longer it can take on smoke. I go straight from the fridge to the egg!
  • Tomjohn
    Options
    The starting temp of the meat was 35.
  • Tomjohn
    Options
    I let it sit out about twenty minuets. Smoked at 275 dome temp. first two hours had a good smoke out of the top vent not much smoke for the remainder of the cook.
  • BlueHorseShoe
    Options
    That is a good starting temp. I no longer use wet wood. When I first started I would soak the wood. I found this delayed the full smoke until after the external temperature of the meat had risen above the smoke point. Thus waisting a lot of smoke!

I have found adding the wood dry just before I place the cold meat in the egg gave me far better results.

Plus the help on this forum is priceless!
  • BlueHorseShoe
    Options
    The meat only takes on smoke for about the first hour and half. When the external temp of the meat rises above a certain point it doesn't matter.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    If you want a good smoke ring with a strong smoke taste, throw it in the freezer after you have rubbed it. Let it sit in there for about an hour before throwing it on. When its time to throw it on, open the egg, lift the plate setter with some type of high heat gloves, throw 3 or 4 chunks of hickory right on the center of the fire. Throw on the meat and let her smoke. I like a real strong smoke to my meats as well and this is how I achieve it. Good luck.
  • Tomjohn
    Options
    Thank's for the help, I will give these tips a try.