Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump recommendations?

Options
427sohc
427sohc Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have gone over The Naked Whiz website (excellent!), but I am curious as to which brand of lump you regular posters use and why? Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me.

Chris

Comments

• TNmike
    TNmike Posts: 643
    Options
    I'm not considered a regular poster but will reply. I use Royal Oak or one of their private label products(Best Choice(really cheap) or Krogers). As to the why- it the same stuff as BGE but about 1/2 or less in cost, pretty consistent from bag to bag (get an odd bag on occasion), I live in a fairly small town and not a lot of options.
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    royal oak USA from walmart....its best price/performance unless you can get ozark oak pretty much

i also like wicked good weekend warrior, its fantastic for low and slows because it is so hard and burns so slowly.

stay away from cowboy, south american royal oaks
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I've only had my egg since Nov so I've only tried 2 different lumps: BGE and Fronier. BGE was great but pricey. Frontier was $14 for a 40 lb. bag at Sams. It burns nicely, started easily but starked and popped a lot at higher temps. I wanna try Royal Oak next.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    I use Ozark Oak simply because it is what my Egg store (which is very convenient for me) carries. It gets good reviews on the Naked Whiz. I pay $10 for 10 lb bag. I have thought of experimenting with something from the grocery or Academy but have not done so yet. I am sure I am overpaying buying at the specialty shop but I do feel some loyalty to them as they have provided me with excellent service (twice coming to my house to replace gaskets at no charge).

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Royal Oak - everyday

Ozark Oak - baking

Weekend Warrior - over nighters

But YOUR determining factor is what YOU have available in your market!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    Got gasket on and doing great. sorry bout the email troubles.
  • op2k
    op2k Posts: 62
    Options
    One of my local dealers just got in some Mali Gourmet Lump that I'm thinking about trying out. Nakedwhiz gave it a pretty good rating.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    good
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I'd give it a try. You never know.
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    We use Weekend Warrior pretty much exclusively. I think it burns better, hotter, less ash. We've tried cowboy and royal oak both; still prefer Weekend Warrior.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I use Wicked Good, because I read good stuff about it here and because the distribution center is nearby ($13 per 22lb bag!) :) Burns a long time, lights easily with my MAPP and I get several cooks on one load of lump.

Lot of folks use Royal Oak (USA version) because it's cheap and available at WalMart. Gets good reviews too. I think it's $6-7 per 10lb bag.

Cowboy (Lowe's and HD) doesn't seem too popular around here.

Those are the only brands I have available, other than BGE. And that's 40 miles away!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I wonder if they sell that somewhere in Lexington, KY?
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    Kentucky; try this; you can search where to buy.
    www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com/
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Doesn't look like it. According to their dealer locator anyway. They will ship it to you, but that can get expensive. Check their website for info. You can write to Lee Ann from there - she's very good about getting back to you.

http://www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com/

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I used to use mostly cowboy, with Wicked Good for overnighters. Then I bought a pallet of Wicked Good, and now mostly cook with that. With the MAPP torch, it gets going pretty quick, and seems to burn a long time. I like that it has so many big and medium pieces, and not much dust.

I'd try royal oak, but I've never actually seen it in a store in the Atlanta area, and I keep my eyes open.
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    Options
    I mostly use Royal Oak and Maple Leaf, which might only be available in Canada (or boarder areas). I've tried Kingsford but find it too "sparky" and Cowboy which I've bought only one time and that was my last time I'll ever buy it. It was full of building scraps including hardwood floor planks which looked as if they were pre-finished. I've tried some of the "Nature's" products, it was ok but no better than Royal Oak or Maple Leaf but is more expensive. That's about all I've tried. I think I like the smell of Royal Oak the most.

On a side note, for any Canadians reading...Canadian Tire is having an event this Tuesday (March 9th) where you spend $50, you get a $10 gift card. Good time to stock up on lump for the summer. $15 for the big bags of Royal Oak.
  • Willie Lump Lump
    Options
    I like to try every brand that I can get. I have favorites for each different cook that I do.
    My recomendation is that you try them all!
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    I went to Moore, Oklahoma on NE 12th and Eastern to the Crest Food Store and paid $4.78 for a ten pound bag of Ozark Oak. It's selling for $10.00 at some other sources and is an excellent value. I usually burn Royal Oak USA from Walmart for 6.27/10lb. bad and it is available during grilling season usually. Crest Foods has Ozark year round.
    To my knowledge, Maple Leaf is not sold in the USA, but if it ever is I would love to make a deal with someone near a source to purchase and ship to me in Oklahoma. I'm looking forward to trying what I've been told is the finest lump available. So if you see Maple Leaf lump keep me in mind please!
    David
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    My last two bags have been Royal Oak from walmart which i like but the one problem with it i have found is that the pieces have been mostly on the small side.

My lump of choice is Ozark Oak hands down it cost me a little more here in Lubbock but it is the most consistent and seems to burn longer than others i have used.

That said i will be using Ozark Oak for all my Low n Slows from now on but if im doing steaks, burgers ,pizza etc.... i'll be using the Royal Oak as it i around $2 a bag cheaper
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    I use Ozark Oak and really like it. I've tried a few others... BGE, Kingsford lump, B&B and Royal Oak and a few others. To me,it's a great feeling to reach into a fresh bag of O.O. and get hold of nice big pieces on a consistent basis. If you haven't tried it, I suggest you do. It gets great reviews for a good reason! ;)
  • greenfan
    greenfan Posts: 94
    Options
    we can get Ozark Oak locally and it costs less than five dollars for 10 lbs. Given the reviews and such I should consider myself lucky to live close enough to yellville that it is in good supply and it is cheap. Once I used the BGE lump that they gave me when I bought the egg Ozark Oak is all I have put in it.
  • greenfan
    greenfan Posts: 94
    Options
    we can get Ozark Oak locally and it costs less than five dollars for 10 lbs. Given the reviews and such I should consider myself lucky to live close enough to yellville that it is in good supply and it is cheap. Once I used the BGE lump that they gave me when I bought the egg Ozark Oak is all I have put in it.
  • 427sohc
    427sohc Posts: 21
    Options
    Thank you all for your input. As far as I can tell, nobody in my area(southeast mass.)carries Ozark Oak. But a BGE dealer 4 miles from me is listed on Wicked Good Charcoal's website as carrier of their product. I'll find out Monday morning. A hardware store in my town sells Royal Oak and I bought an 8.8# bag. Unfortunately, I didn't have my reading glasses with me and bought RO Paraguay. Very hard to light and sparked constantly. I no longer want to use the rest of this crap, that's why I posted my question. Once again, thank you all.

Chris
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Chris, I just realized that my post above may have been misleading with regard to the price of WG lump. $13 per 22 lb bag is in fact what I paid, but that was from WG direct and I picked it up at their distribution center (Holyoke MA, about 25 miles from my home).

I found WG in only one retail store in my area. Their price was about $24/bag as I recall. I bought one bag at retail to see if I liked it. Then I bought a bulk supply from WG direct.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut