Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

waterbased polyurethane

Options
fishlessman
fishlessman Posts: 32,766
edited November -1 in Off Topic
which manuf has the best to stand up to floor traffic. putting in a wine cork floor in the bathroom. the stuff i used here doing samples seems to leave a white haze in the urethane after a few coats that i would like to avoid.

DSC_0158-1.jpg
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• how much traffic you expecting in yer crapper?
    my house is all oak floors. i have two kids that damn near ride their bikes around here, pushing matchbox cars with one wheel missing, etc.

you'll be fine picking any decent can off the shelf.

if you like cork (someone get you a subscription to Metropolitan Home for Christmas or something?), consider sheet cork or tiles. in the 50's (and today actually), all it required was a little wax every now and then.

wholda thunk, i never woulda had you in the same camp as walter gropius.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

I have always liked Minwax products. I have never used it but they make a Minwax® Water Based Polyurethane for Floors that sounds perfect.
    I have used their Minwax® Polycrylic® Protective Finish on an old patio table that has been exposed to the Florida weather for the past year and it is holding up very well (it is water soluble also and intended for interior use). I have used other finishes of theirs over the years and have never had a complaint or problem.

Good luck,

Gator

• fishlessman
    Options
    Metropolitan Home for Christmas :laugh: :laugh: was watching a show a while back on old castles with hundred year old cork floors on the history channel, said it was warm to the touch year round which would be a good thing, my cellar under the floor i maintain at 42 degrees and the sample on the floor actually stays warm feeling. found some sheets on ebay for a third the price so why not. it already had a single coating of water base so i think i need to stick with that. im thinking my lifestyle on a house is rougher than your kids. gritty coal dusrst throught the fall winter and early spring, dogs, boots with maching trips stuck in them etc. my douglas fir floors really need another coat after the ten years ive finished them, they're at the end of the usable life, cant sand them down any more and the oil based urethane on them has had it. floors too cold to put real tiles down without heating the floor, i wouldnt be one to spend the money to heat the floors :laugh: going to put the sample in front of the beer fridge for a week or so and see how it scratches, that should be a good test, used parker pro finish from the hd
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    might go with that in the end, have always used minwax products before. reading about these floor finishes they lean towards plyable over hard but dont see any hard tests side by side
    fukahwee maine

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Min-Wax products are excellent. You might try calling there customer service dept for advice.
    The white haze in your finish is likely to be moisture trapped under the finish. This could be from to high humidity when it was applied or insufficient drying time between coats, or both. Very careful work with a heat gun or hair dryer may help. B)

Hope this helps a little :) .
    Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i dont think it was moisture but the white haze seems to have disappeared over time. my house is dry dry this time of year burning coal for heat. i will keep this in mind though because by the time i do this project it will be spring and wet. i used park's ?pro finisher from lowes, have it in a doorway and have been grinding the work boots into them daily, seems to be holding up and any dents in the cork seem to level out after a day as it springs back. rest of the wood floors in the house were done with the minwax oil base, would have prefered that but the cork already had a coat of water base on it
    fukahwee maine

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Sounds like you are on top of it, I'm sure you will be fine :) .

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL