Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting an Egg - How to?

BBQMaven
BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Misippi Egger and I are planning on transporting 3 Eggs to a comp event... how do you transport yours? whole, apart, in nest, out of nest, etc....
Kent Madison MS

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Go up the page to the block on the left that says "Search Forum" and type in 'Transporting An Egg' and you will be able to see many posts on the subject over the years. Most will suggest construction information, some will have images, and some will give advice.

Then select which method is best for you.

Good luck.

Spring "Transported An Egg Once. Once Was Enough" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • BBQMaven
    SP
    thanks... would rather learn from others mistakes than mine!
    kent
    Kent Madison MS
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i made my own cradle, some make one from plywood and 2x4's, i would make something like that if your going to do it often. i leave mine together but put corregated cardboard between dome and base

http://www.wessb.com has the one for a small you could copy, look in the tips section

heres mine

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=686036&catid=1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    My dealer offered to save the packing stuff for the lower half. I was thinking about setting the (empty, but intact) egg in the box, then securing to a trailer or in the bed of my pickup. Thoughts?
  • BBQMaven
    Have you transported it in a nest?
    Kent Madison MS
  • fishlessman
    never owned a nest or even a table
    fukahwee maine

• BBQMaven
    Thanks for the reply.. out of curiosity, how did you transport? truck, trailer, van...
    Kent Madison MS
  • BBQMaven
    SC
    When you transport your egg - do you do anything to protect the "innards" or do they just travel in place?
    Kent Madison MS
  • thillin
    thillin Posts: 33
    I transport my eggs in an enclosed trailer. I roll them in and strap them to the walls. Then a strap over the tops to keep them from bouncing. Have done this for quite a few comps.

Before, I took them out of the nests and put them in wooden crates in the back of the truck, and straps over the tops to keep from bouncing. I leave the insides in.
  • cb
    cb Posts: 27
    What egg competitions are you traveling to?
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    cb,

We are going to our first comp - a KCBS-sanctioned event in Pelahatchie, MS. This is their second year and they had 18 teams last year. It is 30-45 minutes from where BBQMaven and I live.

www.legacycupbbq.com
  • Here's my large making the trip from the Detroit 'burbs to Scarborough, Maine. It's seat belted into the passenger side rear seat (40% of a 60/40 split) of a Jeep Liberty. I then made a loop out of 5mm Dyneema high modulus sailboat spinnaker line and cinched it snugly to the seat with a spare boat tie down.

8831a9c9.jpg

I also backed the front passenger seat, with the mini belted in for safety, back until the headrest was up against the handle for a little redundancy. I had all the firebox, fire ring, charcoal grate, adjustable rig, spider, small cast iron grid, pizza stone and platesetter inside and everything made the 800+ mile trip damage free.

I wouldn't want to wrestle that beast into the back seat often, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

Cheers,

Joe
  • BBQMaven
    that's good to know... we were worried about the insides being damaged if we left them in.
    thanks
    kent
    Kent Madison MS
  • BBQMaven
    Joe
    Thanks for taking the time to reply, sounds easier to load the insides than take them out...
    kent
    Kent Madison MS
  • fishlessman
    for some reason your email didnt work. most i do is place corrugated cardboard under the egg, and between the dome and base. i leave the ash in the egg, and leave it all together with the spent lump from the last cook. now my firebox and ring have been broken from high temp cooks for years, they still seem to travel fine though.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=686036&catid=1

truck, trailer and atv, easy going with the atv B) if one of your fireboxes is already cracked see if a dealer will replace it and let you keep the old one as a backup for the comp, i would think they would want the eggs in as mant comps as possible, especially if say you had a stack of their business cards out for folks to see or maybe pick up
    fukahwee maine

• BBQMaven
    Really thank you for taking time to respond... this is very good info...
    Kent Madison MS