Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New style vs old style XL

Inksmyth
Inksmyth Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have any XL owners out there cooked on both the old and new style? Lets hear some comments. Whats better whats worse?

Comments

• thechief96
    thechief96 Posts: 1,908
    How can you tell what the old style looks like compared to the new style?
    Dave San Jose, CA The Duke of Loney
  • I have the older style but it does have the newer style hinge bands. Over all I would prefer the newer style for the simple reason that there is more room between the plate setter and the grid to accommodate a deeper drip pan. I have had to replace the fire ring and got the newer style fire ring with the notches for the plate setter. When I have to replace the fire box it will likely be the newer type as well. I have had no problems with the older style XL and I find that it is easier to stabilize than my smaller Eggs. The only difference between the newer style and the older style is the fire box and the fire ring. Some of the older ones even had a little different hinge band. If you are buying a new Egg I would be surprised if you could even find the older style unless it was a floor display or a demo. If the price is the same get the newer one of course.
  • Inksmyth
    Inksmyth Posts: 308
    My firebox and ring need to be replaced. Wanted to know if it was worth getting the new style.
  • poolguy
    poolguy Posts: 129
    if it is new style or the old style it still has a lifetime warranty. The newer style has slot cut into them for expanding and contracting to help cut down on the cracking.

Larry
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Did you forget to mention KC FEST to him?

Mike
  • Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    There are more differences than just the fire ring and box. The new dome is taller making it a closer resemblance shape wise to the Large. There is also the push cart handle for the nest as an option which I have and can say is worth every penny.

-Kevin
    Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!