Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Dome Temp?

Options
Scooby's Eggin again!
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am trying to do a Brisket, but the temp keeps going too high. Top wheel is only cracked open slightly. The bottom vent is only open about an inch. I had the bottom shut more but the fire went out. Any ideas to get the temp down to finish this Brisket??? It is at about 300 now. Would like to be at around 215. Thanks in advance for the help Scooby the Newbie

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    Bottom vent should only be open 1/4 inch or so for that temp.

1) Use a bent clothes hanger and probe up through the bottom vent and up through each of the holes in the lump grate to unblock the holes and increase airflow.
    2) Make sure dome thermometer is properly calibrated - reading about 212* in boiling water.
    3) Might have had a central burn, where there was only a fire in a small area of the lump - will have to pull everything out and look, then stir the lump around or restart the fire.
    4) Also, the brisket may never get done with a dome temp of 215* - that equates to about 180-185* at the grid where the meat is. Hard to get meat to 185 or 190* when the air temp is so low. Try the dome at 240-250*.

Good luck!
  • I'm not a Brisket expert but when I do Butts or Ribs I aim for a dome temp of 250 as I feel 215 dome temp is too low and too difficult for me to hold. Try shutting your wheel completely and closing bottom vent to about 1/8" (just enough to fit a credit card into). Good Luck
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    A little while at 300 won't hurt, but too long, and the brisket will get dry. As above, your bottom vent should be no more than 1/4. I usually aim at a dome of 250. That is usually a bottom vent of 1/8" or less, and the daisy petals just cracked.

Briskets are probably the hardest to do. Don't feel bad is the results are just passable.

Foil is the "crutch." Wrap the brisket in HD foil when its 170-75, and keep it there till its 190-95. Then unfoil, and let crisp up a bit till 200. Save any juices for the sauce.
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    as others have said, 250 dome temp is best.

my egg holds at 250 all day long with the bottom vent open so only a credit card can slip in, the daisy wheel holes open
  • BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    Options
    If your thermometer is clipped in and you don't think you can pull it while the fire is going, fill a thick drinking glass (not plastic) with water and place on grid without direct heat on it for 15-20 mins... then test the temp of the water - it should be very close to what the "dome" reading is...
    Kent Madison MS
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Where have you been? It's been about two years since I've seen this handle on here.

Good to see you back.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    I personally don't think there is anything wrong with 300deg. Cook to 195internal or so, and it should be fine.
    But, yes the lower vent should be narrower for lower temp.
  • Temp is now at 275 and slowly dropping. Maybe the fire was not established enough the first time around, so it went out. Just a thought. Seems to be better now. Thanks for the help!
  • I am new, only had my large egg for about three weeks. Not sure who the other Scooby was. Maybe he had too many Scooby snacks. Sorry not the same person.

Scooby
  • llrickman
    Options
    this might help you some. A rough guide to go buy . I bookmarked so i can reference it

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=696662&catid=1
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Your in flat view? :huh: I believe he was responding to legally blind.
  • Thanks, that does help!
  • I've been Eggin' quietly and lurking a bit the past few months and realized how much I love this forum. I just figured it was time to post as I once had that same question.

I will plan to be around and post more often although pics aren't my strong point! :)