Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st chicken-is it done?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My 1st attempt at roasting up a bird- I'd say bout 6 pounds
its been on an hour and a half. I bought a meat temp fork at the hardware store today and when I insert it in the breast it said done.
I brought the bird in and it seemed pinkish aruond the legs so I threw her back on. Should I beleive the thermometer or watch for colour of meat.
Thanks
WW

Comments

• King-O-Coals
    King-O-Coals Posts: 510
    Options
    WW, I use a small "stick" thermometer like the pro's use. Mostly cause it has a pocket clip scabbord that fits in my shirt pocket and impresses the guests. But check the thick part of the thigh for an accurate determination of doneness. Travel down the forum a bit and check out the posts "Boston Butt and 4 little game hens" where BluesnBBQ and I discuss brining chickens.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    WW,[p]The color of the juices is the indicator, second to the meat temp. The juices should run clear. Cook to 185F in the thigh or 160F in the breast. In either case, the probe must not touch the bone. Go for the thickest part of the meat.[p]Cooking over lump charcoal (especially with smoking wood) adds a coloring to a bird meat that seems to spread unevenly through the meat.[p]Test your thermometer in hard boiling water to be sure that it reads correctly.[p]Enjoy the bird.[p]Spin[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    WW,
    The pink color of the meat is common when cooking with wood, and like Spin mentions, especially with smoke. For best results, IMO, you really need to know the temp of the meat. A polder, or accurate instant read thermometer is a great investment.[p]Qon
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ