Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Band Installation

Options
slh269
slh269 Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How much space should there be where the band is connected by the carriage bolt? I have tightened the hex nut as much as I can (carriage bolt is a little bent) but there is still about 1" of space between the two ends of the band. It looks like there is a lot less space when shown on the installation DVD. Should I be able to get it tighter? I am concerned about it not being tight enough and the top falling off. Thanks.

Comments

• bob in st lou
    Options
    I recently replaced the gaskets and had to readjust and tighten the top. My band(I have medium)almost comes together when I tighten it. If you have tightened it and the bolt is bent it should be fine. Check the top for snugness by opening it a little bit and seeing if it moves in the band. You do not want the lid to come off and bust. I get mine pretty tight and the bolt is noticeably bent. Good luck
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    i just redid the bands on mine this year(went from old style lever hinges to new spring style, also added egg mates) and my bands are about 1/2" - 3/4" from each other and bent pretty good. I unbolted them and rebolted them dozens of times making adjustments with the dollar bill test.
  • slh269
    Options
    Thanks for the info, but please explain the dollar bill test and how to make adjustments to meet that test.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    When you think all is good take a dollar bill and close the dome on it and pull it out and you should have some resistance when you pull on it. Do it all around the dome if it pulls out easy you have a gap and you need to readjust the dome.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer