Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

corn on the cobb

Options
Chainsmoker
Chainsmoker Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
what is the best way to "egg" fresh corn on the cobb?
Ryan

Comments

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    chainsmoker,[p]I do corn on the cobb all the time. It's one of my favorite vegatables.[p]I leave all the shucks and silk on, and cook them about about 275-300 for 20 or 30 minutes, rotating them occasionally.[p]when I pull them off, I pull off the shucks, and rinse the silk off with warm water.[p]They are always great.[p]
  • James
    James Posts: 232
    Options
    James,[p]I forgot to mention that I also usually soak them in water for a few minutes before I put them on the egg. Theoretically, I think that helps the shucks not burn..[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    chainsmoker,
    when i do corn on the grill, i like to peel back the husk careful not to rip it off. ..clean off the silk. . .rub generously in butter. . .then pull the husk back over the ear of corn (you can even use one strand to tie the husk around the ear. .. [p]then grill direct at around 350 - 400, turning every so often for about 20 minutes. . ..

• Unknown
    Options
    chainsmoker,[p]Pull off the outer husks, run under water, and wrap in foil. The corn will 'steam', and when done, the silk comes off easy with the husks.[p]Don't forget the foil!
  • randomegger
    randomegger Posts: 194
    Options
    chainsmoker,[p]I don't think you can mess up corn on the egg... Well, except that one time I roasted them on the extended rack on top of some brats simmering in beer. Everyone thought the corn had an odd taste, lol.[p]FWIW, I'm a 'husk on' guy myself.[p]RE
  • Unknown
    Options
    chainsmoker,[p]we do corn at least once a week in the summer. soak corn in water for 30 minutes with husks on (longer doesn't hurt). if you trim the husks, make sure you don't cut too much off and expose the kernals. no need to pull back and remove silk, it will come off easy enough after cooking. cook at 300 for 20 - 30 min. (longer doesn't hurt if your cooking other food). the water steams the corn in the husk. when you shuck it the silk comes right off with it. Can't really mess it up as long as you have it soaked good.
  • Unknown
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,try wrapping a strip of maple sugar cured bacon around it before you pull the shucks back up.we also soaked it in water before putting the bacon on. Good Eggin,Poppasam
  • Poncho
    Poncho Posts: 50
    Options
    chainsmoker,
    I peel the outer husks, being careful not to remove the inner most layer. I peel back the innner layer, just enough to remove the silk. Then I pull the inner layer back over the corn and toss on the grill. Turn every minute or so, until the corn is nicely grilled. I prefer not to soak or get the corn to steam. I like the gilled/slightly carmalized outcome of this approach.

• Unknown
    Options
    chainsmoker, ok, everybody has told you the "fancy" way to cook corn so now I'll tell you the easy way. Shuck it, wash it, wrap in tin foil with a big 'ol patty of butter. Put it in the egg at 350ish. After about 30 minutes press on one of the foil wrapped ears...if its soft, its ready.[p]Enjoy![p]Hugh Jass
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    chainsmoker,
    As usual I was inspired by the question and answers regarding corn on the cob. Last night I soaked 4 ears in salt water for about an hour, peeles back the husk & removed the silks and generously applied chipotle mayo and pulles the husks back up and put them out indirect for 45 minutes at 250* - turned every 10 mins or so and pulled out the plate setter, pulled the husk back and went direct at 350* for 15 mins turning every 5 mins or so and they were great. Mr Egg had some residual hickory & mesquite flavor left in it from the pork loin I cooked ahead of the corn. Rounded things out with a cold green bean salad and chowed down. Thanks for the inspiration! Joe