Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Egg Cooks in Maine

CaptainSpaulding
CaptainSpaulding Posts: 368
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Finally got settled in enough to fire up the eggs. I arrived in Scarborough, Maine late Saturday night and checked in to a local hotel suite to get some rest after the 13.5 hour drive from Michigan. I spent Sunday looking at a room for rent to save a few bucks as opposed to staying at the Extended Stay America that a lot of my colleagues are doing. Yahtzee! The couple subletting the room turned out to be young professionals with similar interests and tastes in food, TV and music. The price: $300/month plus one third utilities. The bonus: I have a good-sized patio on which to park the Large and Mini BGE's to keep me in the style to which I've become accustomed.

View from the Beach four doors down:

4fc224be.jpg

Eggs parked in the back, Dutch Oven Chili going in the large for quick dinners during second shift training this week:

003d6c9d.jpg

My brand new mini, ready for the MAPP torch application:

078b7730.jpg

Pre-Training Day Lunch of Filet Mignon, Grilled Asparagus and Roasted Sweet Potatoes:

33ff313e.jpg

First successful cook, two thirds on the mini. The Sweet 'taters went into the oven. Lunch fit for a king!

cda63f90.jpg

I think I'm going to enjoy this deployment! B)

Comments

• Nice set up. When did they move michigan less than 14 miles from maine?
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    B & Q,

Great looking pix, gotta like the beach even in winter. I could beat the room rate if you made lunc every day. :laugh:

Does deployment = military TDY? Just being nosy.
  • Cool- that looks great!

That view of the Ocean looks very familiar- my grandparents used to live just to the right in OOB.
    In those days, when I was a kid, Scarborough was hardly developed. We used to drive through it on the way to Pine Point for Clams and/or Lobsters.

good score!
  • Nice cook.Will we see some Dwell in the shell Lobster soon?
  • Nice catch, Helper. My dimensional analysis error didn't make it past my filter after the midnight drive home.

Joe
  • Thanks, Bill.

I'd take you up on your offer if the drive to Brunswick, Maine were a bit closer.

Not a true military deployment. My service in the Marine Corps ended in 1992. I've just been thinking about it in those terms to help deal with being way from the family for mostly mercenary, money-making reasons. You can be guiltlessly nosey anytime. I haven't had the chance to make it to any EggFests, yet, but still consider this forum a pseudo-family.

Joe
  • My gosh, I almost had a heart attack when I saw the dino-sized lump in that Egg :blink: . It took a moment to realize that was the midget and not the larger one!
    That looked like a weep-worthy meal!
  • Right on the money, Bob. It seems like a great area. The couple has the winter rental until June and hopefully some more of the restaurants will start opening up for the season here within a month or so. The Clambake has March 18th on their sign out front.

Do you still get out here for vacations? Scarborough has just about everything I could possibly need. The mall, Sebago Brewing Company, The Meat House (A little Pricey, but nice, and they've got some dry aged beef that's on the list), Walmart, Target, Starbucks, Etc.

Let me know if you're in the area. I'll buy the first round.

Cheers,

Joe
  • Jon,

You know it, sir! I'm still getting my bearings and haven't sought out the better deals on lobster, yet. There's a place on the service drive off I-295 with big signs, but I'm sure the local gems are probably a bit more off the beaten path. I'll probably go out on some fact-finding missions this weekend and a few of the folks in my training class are locals, so i just need to start taking notes.

I've had the lobster roll at the Sebago Brewing Company in Scarborough and it hit the spot. Very respectable local brew, too! $4 for 22 ouncers during happy hour.

dfb1b0c0.jpg

Cheers,

Joe
  • ThunderBunny,

Those were the little pieces that I had to hand select out of a bag of Wicked Good. Some of the pieces I find in those bags would fit comfortably in my fireplace at home.

Joe
  • bobSTL
    bobSTL Posts: 105
    Joe;
    Sounds like a monster storm is heading your way in the next couple of days, better get Mr. Mini inside before he gets covered in snow!! :woohoo:

By the way, great pics, and I just loved So. Portland, Maine when I was in the Coast Guard back in the dark ages of the 70's.
    Bob
  • Brew and Que,

Too bad you are away from home so long. Did the couple you are subletting from understand the whole taking pictures of food thing? :laugh:
    Nice meal BTW

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,667
    theres some nice pubs to the north of you in portland, look for the oldssection a couple streets back from the water. dont know if they have all the bands during the winter months but you can find rock, blues, jazz, etc walking down that section at night in the summer. start with 3 dollar deweys and work down the street from there. 1 dollar lookies, 2 dollar feelies, 3 dollar.... :laugh: place is covered with all sorts of great microbrews

http://www.threedollardeweys.com/beers.asp
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thanks for the heads up. The surf is kicking up a bit, this morning. Even though I'm sure the little guy can take it, maybe he can sleep in my room to weather the storm.

Time to batten down the hatches, methinks!

Joe
  • Steve,

They weren't around to witness it, since it was a morning cook, before second shift. They're quite the foodies, so I doubt it'll raise too much suspicion.

May be able to turn some over to the dark side...

It's an egg thing, if I have to explain it, they wouldn't understand. I'll probably do some ribs this weekend to get the addiction started (Cue evil grin and mustache twist :evil: )

Abandon hope, all ye who enter...

Cheers,

Joe
  • Thanks, Fish.

Haven't had the chance to actually make it into town in Portland, yet, but it's on the list.

Appreciate the tips.

Joe
  • fishlessman
    there is actually a good place for pulled pork and brews top side of sebago lake on 302, brays brew pub in naples. the sandwich is big enough to feed two.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    the meat house is really good, if you dont see, ask. pretty much the only place ive found tritips, and these ribs came from there, those big beef ribs were cheaper than those little babybacks :) get a botlle of their balsamic from the keg as well, its pretty good.
    fukahwee maine

• that dry-aged beef is 45 days old, btw. it's what got me aging my own. their stuff is great. get the ribeye
  • fishlessman
    fukahwee maine

• Dang That is for lunch Can't wait to see dinner
  • We haven't been there for a couple years. The people who owned my grandparents old house rent it out so we rented it for a week a couple times, but I haven't been able to afford it for awhile.- Think I will look into condos now that I'm thinking of it.

Bailey's at the end of the road at the tip of Pine Point is a place where my family got their Lobsters and Steamers since before I was born and it's still going strong (as of my last visit in the early 2000's)
  • Found Bayley's Lobster Pound out on the tip on Google Maps on the iPhone, Bob. There's also a Bayley's Seafood on Pine Point road a mile or two up the road on the way back towards Scarborough. I haven't checked on the Lobster Pound, but the sign out front of Bayley's Seafood restaurant states that they're open Thursday through Sunday. I'm on second shift right now, working 1600-2400 during training until the end of next week, and then it will probably get a bit more intense with 5 x 10's (1500 - 0100), Saturday - (0900 - 1500) and Sundays (0600-1200). Should make for some interesting paychecks, but will cut into the sightseeing for the time being.

Thanks again for all of the info. Like I said, before, the first round (or three) is on me if you find your way back.

Here's a snapshot I took while waiting for the train at Walnut and Milliken after being detoured to hell and back from the effects of the weather. It's been raining since about 1400 on Wednesday and the wind has been gusting up to about 44 Knots. I guess it knocked down half a dozen power poles and flooded things a bit. The power was out when I finally made it back out to the beach, but came back up 20 minutes ago.

d702080a.jpg

Gooooooood times! If it weren't so late, I'd go out and fire up the large and grill up the beef tip sample I got from The Meat House just to say I could.

Hold my beer and watch this!

Cheers,

Joe