Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature for Chicken

Capt. Rich
Capt. Rich Posts: 153
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing some boneless Chicken breast & some thighs with bones. Going direct cook, any ideas on temperature & time on the grill??

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    The breasts I would pull at 160 and I like to take thighs to 200. -RP
  • surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    I usually cook chicken at about 350 but most of the time I go indirect
  •  
    USDA guidelines for chicken and Turkey is 165°. I have always got very moist cooks when cooking to 165°.

chicken3.jpg

With whole chicken it really doesn't seem to matter if the chicken is cooked at 225° to as high as 500° dome. The results of the skin will be different.

I cook chicken direct and indirect again always good.

However, lately I have been cooking chickien to about 180° - 200° and getting a very tender texture, however, it is less moist - not at all dry.

Chicken is fun to try different cook methods on.

GG
  • Depends on your temps. If you do them at 350 - 400 direct, the thighs could take up to an hour to get up to 165. The breasts will cook much faster since they do not have bones. I would say about 15 mins to reach temp. Therefore, think about staggering your start times so everything is done at the same time.