Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gigantic lump or tree

Options
mukl
mukl Posts: 66
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Check out these pictures...
DSC01655.jpg

DSC01656.jpg

I'm not complaining...but it's supposed to be lump charcoal, not tree trunk charcoal :)

That one piece is huge...of course, so are the others in front. The small piece is there just for scale. I'd call the small piece "typical" lump.

This is from a new lump called Ono from Hawaii. It lights really fast and seems to work really well. I'll know tomorrow when I can look to see how much burned during my prime rib cook.

I don't know if I'll buy it again, though. Those few pieces were about 1/3 of the bag. Depending on how these big pieces burn will determine if I buy them again.

DSC01657.jpg

Comments

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Wow...my past 6-8 bags of lump have had thousands of pieces about 1" in diameter. Just the opposite.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I tried one bag of the stuff, really liked it. It burned long with a clean smell. My bag had huge chunks too. Kinda pricy at $1 a pound though.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • NotabuttDave
    Options
    Come on, admit it, you aren't questionning the lump, you are bragging.

I can't take a picture of my deck. Oh, I could take a picture, but all you would see is the SNOW.

We've set a record, Oh am I pining for some nice weather. :( :( :(
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    It's called Ono brand because you open the bag and these huge chunks fall out and you say, "Oh no!" :woohoo: :silly:

Seriously though, I've never seen chunks that big in any lump I've bought. I'd be tempted to bust them up with a hammer into usable pieces but I guess if you put one big piece in the middle of normal pieces it would work for a long low and slow cook.

Can't wait to hear how it works out. I'm curious.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    tjv wrote:
    I tried one bag of the stuff, really liked it. It burned long with a clean smell. My bag had huge chunks too. Kinda pricy at $1 a pound though.

unfortunately for me all the quality lump is $1 a lb... wicked good, fredmusicandbbq special restaurant grade, etc, and don't even mention BGE lump, that's $1.25/lb. The royal oak USA is the only real quality everyday lump i burn.

Original Poster: Where did you buy this ono charcoal? i wanna try it. The Naked Whiz left it a recommended rating.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Chippinghammer.jpg

If you keep buying it, you might need a chipping hammer like I use. Heheee. It's easier to hold the big pieces in one hand over the cooker, and smack with the hammer.

e0f115ac.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • LFGEnergy
    Options
    I tried a couple of bags of ONO from local BBQ Galore store. My bags also had a few huge chunks. However, I quit using it because of the amount of tiny pieces and dust that were in the bottom of the bag (and price). At the price I was paying, throwing 4 pounds of dust away was unacceptable. Maybe the big pieces allow the lttle stuff to knock around too much during packing, shipping, and store shelving, dont know.

Hard to be the Royal Oak at 6.34 a bag from WalMart though.... ;)

Dave in Keller, TX
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    thirdeye, were you in the Navy? We used to give chipping hammers the "float test". Throw them overboard to see if they floated!
  • mukl
    mukl Posts: 66
    Options
    I don't think I was bragging...but I will admit, I was very proud of my "big azz" lump :) And I did want to see if anyone else had ever seen a lump this big.

Thirdeye...great recommendation on holding it over the egg when chipping.

Jimmy, I'm in Seattle and picked it up at Fireside Hearth and Home.

LFG, I checked in the bag again and you're right, there are a ton of tiny pieces down there. It's almost gigantic pieces and then tiny pieces. Not exactly good, unless I'm able to do a good job breaking up that giant piece.

otherwise, I'm probably back to WWW because the pieces are more consistent.