Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

overcooked smoked turkey

Mister
Mister Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried to smoke my first turkey and over cooked it. I did not brine it. put the 13 lb bird on at noon indirectly at 350 by the time the temp got back up to 350 it was 12.30. Took it off at 3pm and the white meet was well over 170 internal drgrees and overcooked and dry. So basicaly it was cooked 2 1/2 hrs at 350 plus thw 1/2 hr getting it back up to temp. what did I do wrong? thaks, mister

Comments

• perhaps it was just a bad bird... i cant imagine 165-170 making or breaking the bird. i dont usually brine the turkeys and they come out incredible, i cook them at 325...usually it takes about 4 hours for a 13-14lb bird.

I cook them mad maxx method, except chicken stock in the pan and not wine.
  • Don't cook by time, cook by internal temp. When breast reaches 160-165, pull it. Also make sure your dome thermometer is calibrated.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Ditto the above comments. Now you have the making of some great white chili.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=763609&catid=1
  • i have never had a turkey in the BGE that took longer than 15 minutes a pound at 325 degrees....

don't worry about coming back up to temp. the egg has a fire of a certain size going when it is at 350. when you toss in a turkey that is a giant lumo of cold meat, the temperature goes down, but the fire doesn't really change (as longas the vents are the same). the dome environment just needs a little time (maybe a half hour or more with a lot of meat) to get everything back up to temp. you don't need to fidget with the vents, just let it ride an it'll get back to 350.

overcooked turkey in the BGE has always still been moist. trust me, i've had a couple where the breast meat still got done too soon (even with the ice trick), bit it's always moist. these tend to be supermarket birds, bought on sale and eaten any old time 9as opposed to something organic and local). the supermarket birds usually have been brined. was yours local farm-raised kinda organic thing? they are less forgiving.