Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Comments on time and temp for lo-n-slo

Options
Marvin
Marvin Posts: 515
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Most of us believe and practice that a lo-n-slo cook of any tough, fatty cut (butt, chuck, brisket, etc)is done indirectly at <300 and taken off at about 195-200 degrees. Yesterday, I put a 2.8 lb, Cowlick-rubbed chuck roast over a drip pan at 250 using JD-soaked oak for smoke. The temp was steady for 7 hours; the meat temp was still at 181, using a well-calibrated probe. Since that was longer than usual, I opened the dome and stuck a fork in the meat only to find that it was fall-apart tender and done. I pulled it easily for a plate of pulled beef mixed with a little of Ken's Big Chief Sauce for the most perfect plate of this that I've made to date. The moral of this story is: don't rely only on the thermometer; use all your cooking skills and tests to follow your cook. It's more than science, as Alton Brown would have us believe, there is also an art to cooking - just like medical care. Enjoy.

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Ryan and I stopped off at Danny G's Dairy Queen in Carlsbad, NM on our way home from Houston with our Klose mobile. Danny has cooked more brisket than anyone could ever imagine. He gave use an afternoon of his time and shared rubs, receipes, methods and techniques. He uses a large J&R rotary wood firm unit for his restaurant. He uses the fork test to determine when the brisket is done and does not measure temperature. So many folks however have bugged him about internal temp that he started testing the internals of brisket that passed his "fork test". He determined that the average internal of brisket was 189 degrees. But a brisket is done when it is done, not necessarily when it hits 189. Folks like me that don't cook a dozen briskets a day, I will stick with my probes and use a fork to doublecheck.
  • Marvin
    Options
    duck,
    Couldn't agree more. I'd like to know the range of the "done" briskets from his surveys. If the mean was 189, the range could be fairly broad.

• jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Options
    Marvin,
    I think you will find that once the cologen has reached temp the meat will pull, however the collogen can be further reduced (hours) over time.

• Marvin
    Options
    jwitheld,
    That's true, but the last time that I did pulled beef and used a temp of 200 it was too dry. At least for me, the fork test is right up there with the thermometer.