Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

And Best Of All .... It Comes In 40# Bags

thirdeye
thirdeye Posts: 7,428
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSC09911a.jpg

DSC09912aa.jpg

My favorite charcoal is back at the house of thirdeye, and just in time.... I only had 20 pounds left. These 40's are packed into a neat tuff plastic material bag.

DSC09912a.jpg
Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Comments

• :whistle: what do you call that white grass???
    and whazzup with 3 decades of bar-b-q???
    get down here, boy, let me smack ya one :P
  • Where did you purchase it?
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Wayne you got to hook me up with some of that!! Do I have to make a road trip your way?
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • So It's that good huh? They carry it at my local
    Cash n Carry so next time I am there I will pick up a couple of bags and try it. ;)
  • thirdeye
    That's how we water the grass in the winter.... I guess three decades was a little shy, how about two score plus. :laugh:
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    It was in the Sysco catalog. They supply restaurants, and I didn't realize it was a stock item. It was hidden in the "Chemical / Janitorial section.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    I'm sure it's available in Colorado, I e-mailed them and they gave me a list of dealers in Denver. If you can find their oak lump it's really good too.

Email: info@lazzari.com
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Cool, I just went on the site and it was not in my face clear..haha
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • thirdeye
    DSC02824a.jpg

Well, try one bag and see how you like it. I learned to cook on a stick burner, so it's the closest thing to that I have used. I use it on all my longer, heavy meat cooks. It's in large pieces so some need to be smacked with a hammer. I'll mix in some Royal Oak to fill in the gaps.

It is sparky when lighting, but that's the nature of the beast. Since mesquite wood (fresh) is about the strongest woods out there, once it's turned into lump it still provides a certain amount of flavor on it's own. All mesquite lump burns hotter, so your vent settings will be different.

From the Lazzari site: Several hundred restaurants nationwide use Lazzari charcoal, including such high-profile venues as the Tadich Grill, Chez Panise, Zuni and The Slanted Door in the San Francisco area, as well as gourmet grills, Brazilian churrascarias, and Indian tandooris from coast to coast.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Wow...too bad you can't find anything better.

That bag sells for $9.45 out here...but it's nasty stuff-IMO.

Your taste buds must be gone Wayne.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• thirdeye
    Oh Darry,

Hehehhee. That's not all that's gone. I'm very simple when it comes to taste... I'm always satisfied with the best.

Hey, does that offer to crash that party have an expiration date? Is Evans coming?
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Not being that familiar with this brand, how does it compare to Ozark Oak that NakedWhiz rates very highly?

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Dad
    Dad Posts: 14
    Can't agree more with Smitty. Save this stuff for the 4th of July....(only)
  • Dad
    Dad Posts: 14
    Can't agree more with Smitty. Save this stuff for the 4th of July....(only)
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I love the bigger bags. My dealer carries these 40 pounders I believe they come from Chigger Creek. Good stuff.

101_2016.jpg

Thanks again for the gloves, they are almost to pretty to use :whistle: :laugh:
  • thirdeye
    TNW's ratings are top notch, they just don't take into account availability.

Since Maple Leaf dropped off the US distribution, Ozark Oak is one of my favorites. Unfortunately I can rarely get it. So, if I could get it at a fair price, it would replace Royal Oak without a question. But I would still buy the LAZ.

At last count I can get 5 different lumps, so my selection is limited.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    I think Chigger Creek are the folks that CWM gets flavor wood from...

Glad you like the gloves, don't hold back....they are meant to be used (and abused).
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Chubby and Spring Chicken.

I only allow 2 Outlaw Eggers at a time.

Hope you can make it.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• That is Chigger Creek Pat, I am making a run in the next few weeks to stock up. For what I am paying for 10 lbs, I can buy a little dust.
    Mike
  • Yes it is, and I am so low on apple, cherry, sugar maple and Alder chips.

Mike
  • thirdeye
    .KIN_MatchLight.jpg

That's good to know. If I make it, of course it will be at the last minute, but I'd be on my best behavior.... I'll bring some Match Light to make things right.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    If you haven't tried their lump yet you should Mike. I like it a lot. I'm still overstocked on their apple and cherry chunks. Really glad my dealer is carrying it now and will have plenty of it at the Sunshine State fest. I bought 2600 cu. inches of both the apple and cherry.

100_3317.jpg
  • There quality really went down a few years ago, but I am going to try it again.
    MIke