Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do you load your wood chunks for smoking?

Options
Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On Super Sunday, I "smoked" a brisket for 21 hours. Although it was juicy and tender, there was no smoke ring and didn't have that smokey flavor.

So, I know I didn't have my wood chunks correctly loaded (I think they all burned up while I was stabilizing the temperature).

Question: If you were doing a low and slow cook, how would you load your wood chunks so they would penetrate the meat?

Thanks.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I toss mine in just before the meat. Sometimes when doing ribs I place a few egg size pieces just under the lump.
  • Dave in So Cal
    Options
    I try to get the temp stabilized first then add the smoking chunks. I have had the same experience as you with chunks burning up too fast when I put them on during temp stabilization.

The only problem with this is that you may have to take out your grate and indirect piece in order to put in the chunks. Either that or put the chunks in and then put everything together. Then you have to wait a few minutes for everything to heat up. BGE needs a little trap door chunk injector rig or something to make this a bit easier.

I would appreciate any advice available from the forum veterans on this subject too.
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    OK, this is by no means a perfect method, but. I use a hatchet to bust up a fist size "hunk o' wood" (that also happens to be my new nickname for ....nevermind)into 3 pieces, and as I'm loading the lump for a long cook (stacking), I set a layer of wood chunks in along the way. Then light the Egg and place my wood chunks on top after I'm stable at 250.

All that said, I notice that my lump always seems to burn toward 2 o'clock. With that kind of information, my plan is to light in a spot above the lower vent and trail my wood chunks across in that direction.

Gotta say, I haven't tried it yet, but that's what I'm thinkin'.
  • LoneStarEgg
    Options
    I use chunks and not chips. I bury 2 or 3 in the bottom and cover with lump then a few more on top placed out close to the fire wall so it takes a while before they catch fire. Then throw a couple on the hot fire just before I put the place setter, grate and meat on.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I remember talk while back about how hard it is to get a good deep, natural, smoke ring with an egg cook.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    1-Stabalize fire
    2-Add 2-3 wood chunks (1 in fire, another at the edge of fire).
    3-Put in platesetter, drip pan and "cold" meat. We let the power draft syatem (we use a Stoker) bring the Egg back to temp.

We always get a decent smoke ring off our eggs using this method.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC07692a.jpg

I use a wagon wheel method. First I sprinkle chips into the lump, then arrange splits in this fashion. Then I add another layer and repeat. For a long cook I'll have 3 layers, taking me up near the top of the fire ring.

I start my fire dead center catch my pit temp on the way up, and let it become established for another 45 minutes until it looks like this.

DSC05386JPGxx.jpg

Several times during the longer cooks, I wiggle the lump which not only wakes up the coals, but in turn makes a little smoke.

A couple of keys to getting a nice ring is to start with cold meat and a low pit temp. Nitrates are required and briquettes have more nitrates than lump. When you start your lump, put 2 briquettes on top of the hot spot so they can ash over while the cooker is coming up to temp. (just don't use Match Light brand). This alone will help alot with a natural ring.

If all else fails, sprinkle Tenderquick on the meat side only and let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes. Rinse it well, pat dry and return to the fridge for 1 hour. Then season and cook as usual. Here are some demonstration photos I did for an article on smoke rings....This first photo is a natural smoke ring on one of my briskets. I did use a coating of wooster as I think it helps darken the ring. The next photo is a TQ'd brisket I barbecued in my Egg. The second photo is a TQ'd brisket cooked entirely in my oven wrapped in foil.

brisketburntends1.jpg

DSC08334a.jpg

DSC09769a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Wanabe
    Wanabe Posts: 355
    Options
    I load lump to near the top of the fire ring and arrange the smoke wood around the perimeter. I use a full 10 lbs. bag of Royal Oak in my large, three fire starters are in the middle, nothing special. I get good smoke ring and flavor every time. I use a GuRu II and set the pit at 245 from now on.

lumpandsmokewood.jpg
  • Wanabe
    Wanabe Posts: 355
    Options
    Thirdeye, great pictures! Now i'm hungry.