Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

has anyone done the mad max method...

Options
texasAUtiger
texasAUtiger Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
on a whole chicken instead of a turkey? Recommended or not?

I have a whole chicken to cook for tomorrow and I'm not in the mood for spatchcock...

Comments

• Donwon9999
    Options
    Sorry, not familar with the term "Mad Max" .. can you give me a brief description.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    you can certainly mad max a large chicken. . .you don't need to ice the breasts though as there isn't the same mass as in a turkey (even a large chicken only weighs around 7 - 8 pounds. . ..

having said this though, when it comes to roaster chickens, i like to either do them one of two ways. ..

1. beer can them.. ...(with tsunami spin is most excellent) at around 375 degrees indirect..

2. in the french style. .. . in a heavy skillet or pan (i use a tin lined copper pan), lay the chicken in the pan breast side up. . ..brush a cold chicken with a lot of melted butter, simply salt and pepper it, then roast it indirect in the egg at around 425 - 450 degrees for about an hour (or until done depending on the size). . ..every 15 minutes or so, take the accumulated butter/fat in the pan and spoon it back over the bird. ..the skin will crisp up till it can crack. ...fantastic. ...when its done. .. remove the bird, put the pan on the stove. ..deglaze the pan with a little white wine, add a little chicken stock, reduce and add a few pads of butter for a nice smooth sauce. ...fantastic!!