Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food Saver - Info please

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning Eggers.[p]I am considering buying a Food Saver (the use of which will be a new experience for me). [p]My major reason for considering one is that we travel to kids houses occasionally. It is about a 3 or 4 hour drive.[p]I like to freeze things which have been cooked on the egg and take them but it seems (while it is good) it is never just quite as good as it is fresh off the egg.[p]I am wondering if food saved in the food saver and frozen can simply be dropped in hot water (in the vacuum bag) and heated for consumption in that manner. [p]My imagination tells me it might be better that way than warming in the oven or microwave when it is dinner time.[p]Any thoughts will be appreciated.[p]Kyle

Comments

• Rodan
    Rodan Posts: 32
    Options
    KL,
    You hit it on the nose. I think it's one of the best ways to reheat food. You don't lose any moisture. It works for all sorts of things. I feel that mine has paid for itself many times over by not letting foods go to waste. I usually cook butts two at a time (Sam's cryopac) & food saver it in portions. That way you have a number of meals ready to go. Boiled in the bag, it tastes almost as good as when it came off the cooker.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I agree with Rodan. I don't boil in water, though. I usually just nuke the bags. Ribs and pulled pork taste just like they came off the Egg. You'll get your money's worth out of the investment.[p]Jim
  • Unknown
    Options
    KL, they are great to have and make the reheated food taste just as if it were just cooked...I even have that kind of success with a bag full of wings...just drop them in "simmering" water don't boil just gently reheat remembering that you only want the food heated to a certain temp and not cooked anymore than it already is. The only thing I can advise more is that it is such a good investment (I paid 150.00 for my 900series FOODSAVER) that you may want to go to a more expensive model, since I have had problems with the storage canisters with mine, which I was counting on for sauces and stuff.