Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5 Butts at once. I'm I crazy??

Mark G
Mark G Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I mentioned at work that I was smoking a couple BB this weekend and everyone wanted to buy one for me to throw on with mine. I now have 5 BBs coated with rub and in the fridge. [p]Has anyone done 5+ at one time on a large BGE? If so do you have some pics?[p]I have a raised grid and planned to put the biggest ones on the top. My main concern is whether a full load of lump will be enough with the extra mass to cook.[p]Thanks,
Mark G

Comments

• Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    Mark G,[p]I've done three at one time and it was really tight. I'm curious as to where you're going to stuff the other three...:) [p]It did take a little longer than one does.[p]Ryan
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Mark G,
    I did four butts in my large, two on the grid, two on the grid extender. The lump lasted just fine. I filled it up as full as it would go with the plate setter in place and there was at least half the lump left when I finished.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Mark G, No, you're not crazy. I tried 6 - 8 lb BBs but could not shut the dome. I ended up FoodSavering two of them and cooking just the four. [p]Can't wait for the XL BGE. I wonder how many BBs will fit in that thing?[p]
    BeerMike

I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Mark G, I'm impressed with your goal...OTOH if TNW could do 4 then your goal is within reason for sure. Of course I also wonder what you're up to and if you plan to have help shredding 5 butts! Maybe it's my angle, but my hands and arms start hurting pulling a large butt...OTOH I also seem to fill up sampling as I pull too.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mark G
    RRP,[p]I just put on a pair of gloves and start tearing it apart. I did two butts a few weeks back and after they sat in foil and a cooler for several hours they shredded pretty quickly.[p]If that isn't enough I also plan to brew up 20gal of beer on saturday as well.[p]Mark
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    30pounds2.jpg
    <p />Mark G,
    Here's a photo of the butts in the kitchen.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • jwitheld
    jwitheld Posts: 284
    Mark G,
    YES you are crazy, but dont let that stop you. I regularly do 4 turned on thier side on just the main grill.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Mark G,
    then you da man...but the "sampling" of just one pork butt as I pull it must be what is tiring me out!
    Long live the BGE and pulled pork!!!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mark G,
    I haven't tried that many but here is a couple of thoughts that may help.[p]If you can't get them in all at once, hit as many as you can fit in there with heavy smoke and then wrap in foil and finish in the oven (gasp, I know but it is a viable solution).[p]Another thought is to go and buy another cooker to suppliment the first one.[p]I am curious as to how this end up. Keep us posted and good luck.
    Matt.

• tn slagamater
    tn slagamater Posts: 623
    Mark G,if you remove the firering you could gain more space and possibly add another grid level. You would probably need to want to add some charcoal after 10 -12 hours since you could not get a normal full charcoal load in if you try this.

• MR H
    MR H Posts: 109
    Mark G,
    Mark I cooked 5 butts a couple months ago. It was tight and the temp probe hit the top butt . The meat came out great, It took 26 hrs and the help of the GURU.[p]
    Cheers[p]MR H

• Mark G
    MR H,[p]How did you set it up to get them all in?[p]Mark G