Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

stoker+linksys+mac

Options
thegrillster
thegrillster Posts: 348
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is anyone able to provide a step by step setup for connecting the stoker to mac using a linksys router, not an apple device?

I have an airport express for connecting to the stoker, but I want to use my existing linksys router instead of buying an apple hub or other apple device.

I know skysaw has posted relating to the mac but I believe he is using an apple hub.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    I have a link to Sky Saw's reply to a post. Scroll down to Sky Saw's response. Hope this helps. Tim

I personally have no idea.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=view&catid=1&id=770611#770611
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Also, Grandpas Grub has some knowledge on this subject. Tim
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Hve you tried calling John, he's always been very helpful.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Linksys uses a Linux based software and doesn't care if what connects to it is Linus, MS or much of anything else.

Simply plug an ethernet cable between the stoker and linksys. Then...

(Page 13-left column, page 16 'IP Address'
    and Page 23 Chapter 7-Network Connection)

. Turn on the Stoker
    . Navagate to System Info; then to IP address write down the IP address shown.

.Go to your computer open IE, Firefox or whatever MAC uses and type in the IP address that is displayed on the Stoker.

If you have entered an IP address into the stoker 'Re-enable DHCP' (page 24).

Further problems, post.

GG
  • thegrillster
    Options
    So then do I just unplug from the router and plug into the stoker to be wireless?
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    To be wireless, you have to plug the Stoker into your Airport Express (which is in WDS mode), and then use the ip address of the Airport Express to pull up the Stoker on your network. To pull up the Stoker on the internet, you must enter the ip address of your router, which then forwards the request to the Stoker.

Mark
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Unplug what?

Guessing what you are asking here... Leave your computers pluged into the router (linksys). Take a new ethernet cable and plug one end into the stoker and the other into the linksys.

You will end up with computer to router, and stoker to router. The router assigns an IP address to the stoker. Read the ip address off of the stoker and type that address into a browser address bar. The stoker information will come up on the browser.

GG
  • thegrillster
    Options
    None of my computers are plugged into the router. Everything is wireless.

Are you saying that in order to set this up I should hardwire to the router?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    You have to hard wire the router to your airport or some other bridge, client bridge, access point or air port. That device, whichever you chose will complete the wireless connection to the router and your LAN.

The Stoker does not have internal wireless capability internally.

GG
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    Grandpas Grub wrote:
    You have to hard wire the router to your airport or some other bridge, client bridge, access point or air port. That device, whichever you chose will complete the wireless connection to the router and your LAN.

The Stoker does not have internal wireless capability internally.

GG

I think Kent intended to write "You have to hardwire the Stoker (not the router) to your airport Express or some other bridge...".

The Stoker can be connected in several ways. If you have a long enough ethernet cable and a free path from the outside in, then you can run an ethernet cable directly from the Stoker to your router. If you want to be wireless, you need to connect your Airport Express (or other wireless bridge) to the Stoker outside at your Egg using a short ethernet cable. I keep these things together in a tupperware container and bring the container out to the Egg with me when I plan to use it.

Mark