Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Egg Gasket

Options
bobSTL
bobSTL Posts: 105
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I purchased a Small Egg December First. I guess I used him about 6 or 7 times. A few high cooks, and a few low, nothing to bring damage to the new Egg.
This past Thursday, I had left the cover off of the Small Egg for a couple of days, and fired it up to cook a couple of hamburgers, and got it to around 500 degrees steady. Took the burgers to the Egg and Opened the Lid. BOTH gaskets peeled right off of the top and bottom. Burned my finger getting the top gasket out of the grill. When it cooled off, the Egg looked like there was never a gasket put on. It was clean and white!!
Took the sick Egg back to the dealer, no problem, got the new gaskets put on and was told to wait 24 hrs. until cooking on it. I think I will wait until spring to use it. Scared !! I have had a large for 2 years, the gaskets are nice and black. Never had a problem with them.

Bob

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    Come on, cowboy, just get back on the horse and ride! Not using it til spring is like saying your car was a quart low on oil so you better not use it. Gaskets are like oil - they are maintenance items and you need to expect to deal with them.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • galoot
    galoot Posts: 69
    Options
    I lost the gasket on my XL last winter. Never got around to replacing it in the spring or summer and have been using it this winter too. I have a replacement and plan to put it on in the spring, but use it constantly. Not a big problem for me though. I guess I wouldn't stop cooking over that.
    Also the firebox developed a "stress relief" crack 2 or 3 years ago. They take a licking and keep on cooking..
  • Sooner Egg
    Options
    the gasket on my small failed the first use(a hamburger cook) much like yours did, I opened the lid and it just dropped off, got a new gasket from my dealer, used 3M Super 77 adhesive on it and it has not failed since....
  • CaptainJimmy
    Options
    my gasket finally ate itself on a clean out burn a couple months ago...i bought a nomex gasket from fredsmusicandbbq.com and the super 77 adhesive... fred himself warned me that the nomex WILL burn at 700deg, to watch my super high temps, but the original felt will ignite at 200 degrees.

so far the nomex has worked flawless.

i say get back on the horse, and if you ruin that gasket ask your dealer (or bge) to give you a nomex. or just buy one, the kit is pretty cheap.