Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time to replace my felt.....question

Boarcephus
Boarcephus Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is there a difference between regular BGE Felt and a High Temperature BGE Felt? Are they the same? Been looking on the internet and found both. Any suggestions? Never done it so this ought to be a hoot. BTW, will it hurt things if I put if off till spring?

thanks in advance.

Comments

• surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    I would get the nomex which is the High temp. Once I changed to that never had to change again.
  •  
    Yes there is a difference. One is a gray felt the other is a white Nomex.

Some folks have put it off for ever, that is their gaskets are no longer there.

I have put it off for a year and a half. Maybe this summer, maybe not. If I get to where I hear a ceramic noise when I close the dome I will probably put on another felt gasket. Felt because I have a few here already.

I have gotten past the need to get the egg to high temperatures. I do a 800° steak sear using a spider and very close to the lump. I do take the egg to about 550° when I do pizza on a the top of an adjustable grid.

When I end up having to buy gasket material it will be Nomex.

Don't worry about the burn marks as the pictures were taken for other reasons. Here is what the gaskets look like.

Felt
    gasket_bge.jpg

Nomex, normally it is whiter, but this has some singing
    gasketnomex2.jpg

GG
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    The "high temp" is made of Nomex and seems to be a much better product. As to waiting 'till spring, you can wait years if you want. As long as you can control low temps, and the Egg shuts down when you put the rain cap on and close the bottom vent, gasket replacement really isn't an issue.
  • you guys are good. Does most any BGE dealer carry this Nomex and if not, where's a good place to get it? Is Ebay a decent place?
  • Gandolf
    Dealers should have it by now. If not, call the Mothership in Atlanta. BGE Headquarters.
  • Thanks. I'll check here locally tomorrow. If no luck, I'll then check with the Mothership.

Had the Large BGE for a couple years and my wife bought me the Mini Egg for my birthday today. Ought to be great for filets.
  • i bought my nomex kit from fredsmusicandbbq.com ... he sells the super77 adhesive which you will need. I recommend either way you watch his videos on youtube regarding gasket replacements.

I followed his instructions to the T and my nomex works flawlessly. If i need to do the gasket again (i doubt I will) I will be using a rutland fireplace rope gasket.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    It won't hurt.I have not had a gasket for over 1 1/2 years.I don't plan on EVER having one. B) But if you do deside to replace it go with a hi temp one like Nomex,Rutland or Contronics.
  • Thanks. I'll check here locally tomorrow. If no luck, I'll then check with the Mothership.

Had the Large BGE for a couple years and my wife bought me the Mini Egg for my birthday today. Ought to be great for filets.
  • FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    I replaced mine with Nomex a couple of months ago..scrubbed the Sh*t out of the rims until it was like new. I followed the directions to a T. Glued both the Nomex and rim after pre shrinking 3 times. I let it cure for a week and did low and slows for a couple of weeks after. No avail I'm chasing loose gasket areas every time I cook..The big super 77 can comes in handy..Other than that, the thing is hanging in there well.
  • I do pizzas all the time and some high temp cooks. I burned my felt gaskets up really quick... I replaced the felt with a Nomex and I am pretty happy - If you are going to install a new gasket, at minimum, install a Nomex. I might go with a rutland or cotronics as they can take even higher heat. My Nomex is doing ok for now - a whole lot better than the felt ones I used before.
  • Gandolf
    Yeah, I think I'm going Rutland when the time comes for both of mine.
  • I watched Fred do his and that looks fairly easy. I'll give that a shot pretty soon. That was a great website. Thanks!!!!