Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple baked potato...

Options
ThunderBunny
ThunderBunny Posts: 132
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I found an amazing looking bone-in ribeye at the market yesterday and want to pair it up with a good old fashioned baked 'tater for supper tonight.
I received some kind advice yesterday to cook the spud at 400* (stable cooker) for an hour on a raised grid. Just out of curiosity, why not throw a plate setter (legs up) and heat 'er up on a non-raised grid?
Oh and speaking of steak, I'm going to try the yellow mustard method tonight. I know the mustard flavor gets cooked off, so then what purpose does it serve?

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Options
    Potatoes - I rub mine with butter, then roll in coarse salt. Cook indirect, or raised direct (dealer's choice) until 200* internal.

Mustard is used to help hold the rub in place. Personally I don't use on steaks. Concerned the high temp might react differently with the mustard than on low and slow cooks. I have used a little EVOO on steaks to help hold the rub on, but most times, the steak is moist enough that it isn't an issue.

Good luck...and post pics!
  • ThunderBunny
    Options
    Much obliged, Misippi. 200*, eh? Never knew that. I've always just given them a squeeze to see how much give was in them.
  • Misippi Egger
    Options
    The last time I cook some, I did the squeeze test, then stuck my Thermapen in to see what the temp was...
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC09440a.jpg

Old fashioned is good, and you can cook potatoes very raised direct or with any type of heat shield, like a plate setter or pizza stone, or a metal pan. I scrub them, lightly oil and sprinkle with kosher salt because I love the skin.

DSC09445a.jpg

Let's say you wanted to go one more step... twice baked ones are really good too. The adders to the filling is completely up to you. An added bonus is that you can bake them ahead, then have the assembled stuffed ones in the fridge ready to back on the cooker.

DSC09446a.jpg

DSC09448a.jpg

DSC09451a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    nm
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • civil eggineer
    Options
    I believe the proper baked potato internal temp is 210 degrees. Takes around 3 hours at 250 dome indirect and 1 hour at 400 dome indirect.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    The don't use mustard on my steak unless it's my London I'm grilling tonight.

This is how I bake my potatoes. I can do six at once like this and still have room on the grill.

I had this made and to my knowledge only one other person copied it and he quit using this forum.

000_0876.jpg

Here I can bake my potato at 400° and when it's done I can open the vents and sear my steaks any way I want to.

000_0879.jpg