Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anybody ever made home made hotdogs?

Ricklesss
Ricklesss Posts: 391
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Reason I ask this, is that the folks on this forum never cease to amaze me.

Many here grind their own ground beef and hamburger from sirloin, etc.
Others make and stuff their own sausage's.
Others cure their own meats, jerky, BB ham, etc.

So I have to ask: "does anyone make their own hotdogs"?
and...is it even a possibility?

I figure if it IS, someone HERE would know!

Doing a little research on hotdogs, (Wikepedia had a good read and links) leads me to believe they aren't all that complicated, but would really like to know.

Thanks!
(and yes, good dog's in these parts are hard to come by)

Comments

• of course it's possible. it's a sausage...

give it a shot, you'll love it. i make brats, not hotdogs, but it's all the same
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Yea...what strip said...and... where there's a recipe there's an egghead willing to trying it. :woohoo:

I'm more of a "sausage" purist wanting to venture into German sausages and likely will not spend any time on dogs. Curing loin and butt bacon, making American Farmhouse sausage and ground beef, smoking jerky, grinding cheeses, dryaging beef and trying to make time to cure/smoke a rack of pork for kassler rippchen and not to mention cookng most meals at home I just don't see time for dogs.

Where in the world did that come from? :evil: Must be cabin fever. I need to find a job. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good luck!
  • I have seen a couple of recipes, of which they seem to be the same as bologna.

GG
  • Making hot dogs would probably be more complicated than I want to try right now due to work, kids, home improvement, etc.

However, I am curious about something. The meat in hot dogs is very finely ground so that it is basically a paste when it goes into the casing. How does one grind this fine at home? Can you simply pass it through your KA several times until you get the right consistency? Is there some other way of grinding that fine - blender, food processor, etc.?

Just wondering...
  •  
    On the KA you would probably have to go through twice. Some grinders have smaller plates which produce a pretty fine grind, going through the smaller plates twice would think give a fine texture.

GG
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Here ya go, bud (Google is your friend). :) This is not an endorsement as I've never tried it. Might though.

http://homecooking.about.com/od/porkrecipes/r/blpork26.htm

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I made them once, not difficult except trying to stuff the sheep casings without them splitting, they are very fragile. Also every hog casing I've ever used was clean but the sheep casings had chunks of something in them that didn't rinse out, kind of gross. You get the grind in a food processor and make it into a smooth paste. -RP
  • :sick: grrrooooossssss!!!!! I saw Alton Brown make hotdogs and he used artificial casings. I don't want any intestines...
  •  
    You do know you are eating intestines on a lot of the sausage, brats, dogs and such.

• i made em 2 times.... they tasted great( to me any way).... but i can't or don't want to even try to replicate the "red color".... but the folks i gave 'em to still expect to see the red color associated with a hot dog.... if you do make "em just don't use the term" hot dog".... i used lamb casings that i bought from "butcher and packer".... no problems with them....not too sure the effort is worth it, other than as a food exercise....i used the casings to make "breakfast links"..... which everyone loves...
  • uh, I avoid link anything because I don't want to intestine. I don't eat any kind of organ. My mother was Seventh Day Adventist which is basically Protestant Jewish when it comes to dietary laws. The reason I left the Adventists was because they were actually trying to turn me into a vegetarian! And I am a founding member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals!).
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    www.sausagesource.com has what you need to make hot dogs bologna summer sausage etc...
    I use them a lot for my seasoning needs. I am just a customer and find them very helpful.
    E
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Might be harder to find rat hair, pig lips and other secret hot dog ingredients.
  • See if your library has a copy (or can bring in a copy) of Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn. There's a big section in there about emulsified sausages.
  • Hungry in Lilburn wrote:
    I don't eat any kind of organ.

No pate? No tongue tacos? No dirty rice?! :ermm:
  • you get what you pay for. nothing but the best up here. hahaha
  • use the intestine. much better. c'mon. don't flinch.

it's all rinsed and cleaned.

>>Edited: just saw it was a religious thing rather than general queasiness. ignore the comment then
  • with beef, paprika and pick salts, is there any other color they could be but red/pink?
  • Well I'm happy that a few of you didn't think I was completely off my rocker for asking, and even kinda' egged me on, so to speak...
    It's a project, now firmly on my "to-do" list.
    With the best ingredients, I think they should be pretty good.
    Get ready, here I come, Pearls!