Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Assembling the large nest ENL & Nest Handler NHL-1

Options
2Fategghead
2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here is the unassembled Large Nest Handler NHL-1

000_1716.jpg

Here is the unassembled Large Nest ENL

000_1717.jpg

000_1718.jpg

How to assemble the new style large nest with the four inch caster wheels ENL 06-01-09.

First make up these two sections using the given hardware and hand tighten loosely.

000_1719.jpg

Next chris cross the two together upside down and bolt together. Then add the bottom braces and add the handler foot brace and tighten by hand.

000_1720.jpg

Continue until fully assembled loosely.

000_1721.jpg

000_1722.jpg

Next take your channel locks and 9/16 wrench and tighten all four caster wheels.

000_1723.jpg

Next using your Philips screwdriver and a 7/16 wrench tighten the rest of the hardware.

000_1724.jpg

Now that the nest is assembled you can start on the nest handler. Here you have to remove one screw and nut to install each side brace and tighten each side with the philips screwdriver and the 7/16 wrench.

000_1725.jpg

000_1726.jpg

Here install the handle brace and tighten all four screws.

000_1728.jpg

000_1729.jpg

Here assemble the Handle tube and egg braces finger tight until the egg is put in the nest.

000_1730.jpg

I did not get a wire mesh door with the egg I recently purchased and I removed the dome and everything inside to set the egg in the new nest.

Here I installed the wire mesh door in the bottom vent. After I put it on behind the other door I could not slide them open or closed so I had to work on the door frame so two doors could slide open and closed. I used a screw driver. Now it works perfect.

000_1732.jpg

I made this shelf for the nest so when I pull ash out of the egg it won't go everywhere. I plan to get the ash pan that goes with the egg.

000_1738.jpg

I made this from a piece of 3/16 steel in the garage and a cut wheel and drill and grinder and a can of black paint. I went to the hardware store and got three stainless steel pan bolts to replace the other three. The egg don't even sit on the bolt heads.

000_1739.jpg

After setting the egg in the nest I could attach the two handle braces to the lower band stud on each side. Then I tightened everything up real tight.

000_1741.jpg

Here I but my tape up to the lower band. I looks like a little over 7 inches.

100_3113.jpg

Hooked on through it about 10 1/4 inches.

100_3114.jpg

Now I simply put everything in place. I hope I like my steel shelf on the nest because it was a last min idea.

000_1742.jpg

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    This is my new nest for my large egg I recently purchased. I have always liked the idea of the handler when we were at eggtoberfest 2009 and since I already have a large egg in a table I feel all I needed was a large egg in a nest with a handler so I can move it around all I want.

I did not mean to boar you I did this as a how to pictorial. Just in case someone asks. Which will be never I'm sure. As you can tell I have a lot of times on my hands. Tim
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Great documentary...I'm sure it will help others..
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    that is good information. Thanks
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thanks back. Tim
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

Thanks for the post, it is nice to see the handler closer. I need to get larger casters on my nests.

Kent
  • hartleybear
    Options
    I like it,i like it alot. Do you reckon you could attach the handler without taking the egg out of the nest?? As a short cut maybe a car jack beneath as to support the weight!!!Hartley----Hi from Oz
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Thanks Kent. They make a handler for the older nests with the three inch wheels. It's called NHL-2.

The NHL-1 will not fit on the old nest's. Tim
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Well? You got it under the Egg yet? :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hartley, I will tell you this. There are four things you need to do with the egg out. The two back 4 inch caster wheels need to come off in order to install the kick brace between the two wheels. Also, the two braces where it says Big Green Egg takes two screws on each side and one of them on each side must be removed and but back in. You may be able to do it but, make sure you have someone around to help. Tim
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hey Ron! No not yet. :lol:
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    hartleybear, I forgot to tell you hi back from the land up over! :lol::whistle: Tim
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Ron, I will clean out the egg because I have been using it and try but I don't want to take the dome off until I am ready to put a gasket on. I don't want to put a gasket on until the weather warms up. I'll see if I can do it but I think I need some help other than Cindy.

Maybe If I eat a big bowl of pinto beans and get the band going...no better not do that I might have an accident :sick:
  • hartleybear
    Options
    Thanks Tim. Have not seen the handlers down here yet mate. Maybe they are in a canoe on there way downunder . The place where i got my egg from have the Exclusive distribution rights downunder--Their egg knowledge is so so,have learnt more from here .
    hartley
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    I would say you can do it if your careful. If you didn't notice the top braces attach to the lower band when it's in there.

Ha ha maybe you need to get a bigger canoe! Or one with a motor on it. :lol: :woohoo: Tim
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    If anyone subscribed to this post I put the egg in the nest and made a steel shelf in front of the lower door. Tim
  • mangasb
    mangasb Posts: 14
    Options
    Well done.  Thank you for the pics and information.  I'll be assembling mine one night this week.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Tim I ended up with Fred and his Distrabution Rep on the phone as I did not understand "it did not just slip" into the nest. Mine was SNUG and after Fred said he would send me another if I screwed it up. It worked just fine with a little push to get it in. Will never use an Egg w/o a Handler. Very good pic workup.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    mangasb, I'm glad you like my little how to.

I think you will love your egg in the handler. At least I do. My feelings are if I need to I can make or have a table made on wheels that rolls around next to my egg in a nest...Tim
    :)
  • Mickey
    edited January 2013
    Options

Tim that was what this table (Sam's about a $120) was for till the Mini's made it home. Got to get a second one now.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options

try that once more:

• 2Fategghead
    Options
    Hey Mickey, Wow! I thought this post was dead or never noticed again after the day I placed it. I kinda feel good folks are finding it and reviewing what I have contributed way back in 09...

If I remember correctly my egg fit a little snug in the nest. Again it's pretty neat how we can call on one another for egg help and sometimes beyond that. Glad you got it figured out and like the outcome. Now if you want you can get a roll around table for your egg in a nest with a handler.

Have a great day Mickey and thank you for what you do for the egghead community. Tim