Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Cookbook

Options
LoveHandles
LoveHandles Posts: 156
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone seen the new BGE cookbook? Its supose to cost $50. I wonder if its any good?

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I saw the mock up in Atlanta, looked good. Are the Goatheads coming to Tempe this weekend? -RP
  • cleinen
    cleinen Posts: 102
    Options
    I have been wondering the same things.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Copy of my post from last month:
    Only my opinion of the new cookbook.
    First I think it is outstanding tool for people who own eggs and NOT involved in this forum (I am sure this is the vast majority of egg owners).
    The first time I opened the book it was to a recipe calling to soak the chips before putting on coals (I may be in the minority here, but I am in the do not soak camp). I noticed that this is in all references to wood in the book that I could find. For some reason it put me off a little. The next page before reading and just flipping I came to cornbread (2 parts flour to 1 part cornmeal) just hard to understand after 60+ years of Southern Cornbread.
    The photography overall was good, but not better than lots and lots on the forum. Guys I understand that a few forum members are pro’s but we still have great photography on the forum.

The book is 320 pages with only 30 pages (22 recipes) to egghead recipes and those NO CREDIT to cooks. And not what you read on the forum (little changes)

I had the same opinion to the chapter of Rubs (not up to forum).

Noticed that they put the pizza stone directly on platesetter (not air between) any time using both.

No pulled pork? (that I found)

For me, I can find (and have stored) many more and better (I said for me) recipes off the forum. I am let down with the book, (for me) was expecting the FORUM IN PRINT (I guess).
    If this was in a book store and I could sit and read it for 10 minutes before buying, I would pass. For me the forum is so much richer in information.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Options
    I thought that might be the case. I have gotten a lot of fantastic recipes from you guys here, and don't see why I need a cookbook.

Besides, a lot of recipes on the web can easily be adapted to Egg cooking.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    I've never seen ANY cookbook worth $50 personally and while I own literally hundreds; those that I own on grilling were never more than $25-29. The issue they have is sheer numbers. Think of how limited an audience they have for this cookbook and then how much it costs to produce something like this. They stuff you can get for free here on the forum alone has built up a large list of recipes and pictures that no cookbook can reproduce.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • poolguy
    poolguy Posts: 129
    Options
    I think it is a good cookbook. It has very good photos. It is very well put together. Yes the recipes are here on the forum, but I think as it more of a conversation piece, coffee table book. If you can get it signed be Ed Fisher, Dr BBQ and Kevin Rathbun just adds that much more. My thoughts

Larry
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :) I'm enjoying the pics (all but 1, so far, on virgin BGEs :blink: ),
    the detail for set up, etc. is good (although we all know there are many, many ways to "skin the cat"),
    and, like any good cookbook, no matter what the price, it stimulates your own ideas on how to adapt the recipies with similar dishes.
    Overall, a good "coffeetable" cookbook to browse and some recipies that are "must try soon."
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Hi Molly,
    Thanks for the input on the book. I have one on order from my dealer but have not seen it yet. Some of the posts got me to wondering if it is worth the money, but I believe I will go ahead and get one.
    I have the "Way to Grill" book put out by Weber and available on their website [$19.95, I think]. It has a lot of info on preparation techniques and recipes for rubs, marinades, sauces, etc. I refer to these much more often than the actual food recipes, although most are easily adapted to our Eggs.
    Thanks again for your input and for the comments yesterday about my rib-flap pig candy and my buddies hot sauce. He has an xl, but he does not get on the forum very often. ;)

Capt. Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :angry: I'm NOT MOLLY! Molly is CooknBiker. Molly is my Egghead Buddy B)
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    This should be good.

popcorn.gif

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    nm
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    My sincere apologies, You girls are all so good on here it's hard for an old riverboat guy to keep everyone straight.
    Again, my apologies :blush::blush:

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    ;) accepted and thank you!
  • LoveHandles
    Options
    No, we can't make it this time. We're doing a cook for a motor home dealer show here in town. Sure wish we could make it, but maybe next time. I am having the BGE cooking class again on Feb. 20 and 21. Kennys coming out again. See Yaa