Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eggcessories

Mr. Matt
Mr. Matt Posts: 59
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ladies and Gents, I am officialy the proud owner of a LBGE! I purchased a plate setter, ash tool, lump coal and grill mate. Should I replace the thermometer, I have read the one included is less than perfect. I purchased the BGE coal is there a coal that anyone else can recommend? Any other mandatory Eggcessories / like a thermometer fan combo? Thanks for all your suggestions! Pics will come after I build my table, btw any pics or ideas there would be appreciated also!

Thanks again guys!

Comments

•  
    Congratulations and welcome to the forum.

Looks like you are all set. Make sure you watch the video and calibrate that dome thermometer. Use the dome thermometer and check calibration now and again. You will know when/if you need a new one (but not now).

The coal is referred to as Lump and the BGE Lump is just fine, I use Royal Oak which is the folks that package BGE lump as well as cowboy lump. The reason being that's what's available around here.

A powered vent system like the DigiQII, CyberQ or Stoker is helpful/fun but not absolutely necessary. The egg is fully capable of holding temperatures for low and slow cooking without assistance.

I wouldn't jump on every accessory you see or read about, some of the accessories I initially bought are not being used now. For example I got rid of my vertical chicken and vertical turkey stands.

You have a good assortment of accessories now and should learn to use those.

If I were buying a new egg, knowing what I know now and money not being a issue I would get.

Adjustable Rig & Spider
    Thermapen instant read thermometer (no substitutes)
    ThirdHand grid lifter
    Wiggle Rod
    Maverick ET-73 Remote, dual probe alarm thermometer.

Then...
    DigiQ2 and or Stoker Powered Vent System

I use the above items all the time.

Remember to cook the food to proper temperature and not worry so much about time.

Here are some interesting and helpful sites you should visit as you get time.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=817979&catid=1

Have fun cooking.

GG
  • correction I got the grill gripper not the grill mate! BTW...
    If anyone is in SA and looking to purchase a BGE in SA I highly recommend Bar B Ques Galore, ask for Sean, great guy / salesman.
  •  
    Look into the ThirdHand Grid Lift.

Sounds like you are all set and time to get something cooked.

GG
  • Thanks GG! I was a little under budget since I plan on building my own table. I just remembered that my wife loves ribs and I forgot to pick up the rack... oops. Think I will play with what I have for now and pick up a rib rack and Adjustable Rig & Spider after a couple of paydays.
  •  
    I forgot to mention, I do have and occasionally use the V Rack. I do like it and would purchase it again.

I don't use it much for doing ribs, rather I went to home depot and bought 2 $5 rib racks (square tops) and those work great for ribs.

I use the V Rack inverted (as a cradle) for turkey. Chicken I just put on the grid as I do large hunks of meat.

turkey0812.jpg

I mostly cook ribs right on the grid
    ribswet1.jpg

If I could only have 2 accessories it would be the Thermapen and the Adjustable Rig/Spider Combo. I use both or a combination on every single cook.

GG
  • Thermapen is GREAT. I had my egg for a couple of years before i built my table. I love the table vs nest.

0e90d49d.jpg
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Stevein did you build that or is it a cabinet prefab?
    Very good looking. What is the doors? I really like the open holder for the egg.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• mickey
    i built it. i thik you could park a truck on it.

the doors were a real find. when you go to most bbq shops they want hundreds of dollars for stainless doors. i was on a business trip to Atlanta and droped in at an IKEA store. The doors are Alum and glass kitchen replacement doors i think they were 40/ea. it was my first time ever to do tile. that was a pain for me. but i love the table. The midde section had lump and Junk. the left has more accessories in tubs.

235cf035.jpg
  • Very nice table!
  • Thanks again GG, I haven't had much luck finding the Adjustable Rig/Spider Combo online. Where did you purchase yours?
  •  
    It is in my links post above. The only place to buy and Adjustable Rig/Spider/Woo Rings is from member TJV at his online store. The Ceramic Grill Store. Again, the link is in the above post, rather the information post that the above link will take you to.

GG
  • Thanks - I just posted a pic of a new carved handle
  • Ok I have been on TJV's site and now I feel a little intimidated! I am looking at buying the Rig & Round Grid Combo - Adj. Rig, 16.5" Round Grid, Spider & Pair Crossbars for $116.00. Is this the one you recommend? Do I need the Woo also if I get this rig? Does he post a coupon code for guests of this forum?

Thanks again GG you have been a tremendous help already.