Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Egg Questions

TRAILER MONKEY
TRAILER MONKEY Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am considering purchasing a "Mini Egg". I already own a large, and a small! Can you smoke foods on the mini? How much meat will it hold? What does one cost? Pictures would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time for the info to all that reply!

Comments

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Trailermonkey,[p]I got a mini the same time I got a large. You have to treat it differently as far as cooking goes. I have really gotten to like the mini. I do more than half my cooking on my mini now. Here is a recent thread that will answer more of your questions:

[ul][li]Mini Egg ? Thread[/ul]
  • Steve-B,Thanks for the info! What foods have you cooked on the mini? Have you done any low and slow type cooks on it?

• Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    Trailermonkey, I can help you with that question. A half of a boston butt can fit in the mini, you can do low and slow. I think you have to play with it a lot more than with the larger BGE's though. I usually have to reload some lump after 4-6 hours. It makes a difference what type of lump you are using too. BGE brand lasts longer than Cowbow brand. (IMHO) The smaller cuts of meat seem to get to 200 degrees faster like around 8-12 hours. I don't have any smoker except my mini BGE and I love messing around with it. I can make the meat portion of a meal for a family of four on the mini. You can roll a rack of spare ribs and get them to fit on the mini, but they don't look quite as pretty as they would if they were spread out though. They still taste the same though. A small chicken will fit, but there is not room to ?spachtcock? it. I have fit a small turkey breast too, but I had to trim it to get it to fit. I have had pretty good luck just doing grilling too. By itself if will get to 650, add a little help from one of those little battery operated hand fans and you can get it to go higher, although I really don't need it higher than that. Hope this helps! :-)

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Trailermonkey,[p]I've only done a few low-n-slow cooks on my mini. I use it mostly for cooking for myself or just me and the wife. It's great. It travels VERY well and is easy to use.[p]For low-n-slow cooks, I bought a small pizza stone (8 inch) and it works well, but I usually do larger cooks and freeze the leftovers. [p]Smokey
  • Angie2B, Thanks for your input, it is appreciated!

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Angie2B,
    Lobsters, filet mignon, hamburgers, shrimp, Cornish hens....

• Angie2B
    Angie2B Posts: 543
    J Appledog, I haven't tried the cornish hens, but i want to do a beer can one, except use a little juice can instead. Do you think that would work?

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Angie2B, I'd sure give it a try. JCA