Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salmon Plank Cooking

Options
Julie
Julie Posts: 133
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm tempted to try cooking Salmon on a wood plank. I saw a recipe on Paula's Home Cooking of Salmon cooked on a cedar plank with a wasabi dip. She suggests cooking for 12 minutes. Any suggestions on timing, temperature and whether alder might be better than cedar or not? I was thinking of cutting individual sized disposable boards and leaving the fish on the boards for serving. Does the wood become unsightly and charred?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Julie,
    if you do it direct the wood gets a bit charred.
    no big deal though. soak it well first.[p]i actually used shims, which are cedar shingles, sold in big bunches for cheep cash.[p]you don't want any 'protected', preserved or stained/painted wood, just raw[p]you could go ahead and buy dimensional cedar lumber, but i think that's an unnecessary expense.[p]it's supposed to be a cheap and easy way to cook, shouldn't add a whole buncha cash to the bottom line.[p]alder might be fine, too. but then i think you are buying dimensional lumber.[p]why not cook on cedar but throw alder into the fire?[p]time and temps for me were straight out of a cookbook. i don't recall them, but they were 'normal', as if i were doing it in my oven.[p]give it a shot. it's a great looking way to serve the salmon...

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Julie,
    i just did salmon last week on cedar planks. . bought them at williams sonoma. .. per their direction, i soaked the plank for about 3 hours. . .set the egg up at about 425 dome temp. . .put the plank in the egg first, waited for it to start to crackle (again, per the instructions), then put on the salmon filets (i had brushed them with olive oil and coated with dizzy pig raging river rub). . .left them on for about 20 minutes. . .halfway through the cook i squeezed some fresh lemon juice over them. . .they came out fabulous. . .while the egg was giving off a real strong cedar smoke smell, the smoke infusion on the salmon was actually quite mild and delicate in taste. ..they were even moister than when i grill them direct over a bed of sliced lemons. . the comments from all of my family were "this is the best salmon ever and the way you will always do it in the future". . .[p]as for serving on the plank, mine were burning and charring when i removed the fish, so i don't think its very feasable. . .in fact, i think i'll be able to get about 2 cooks out of each plank. .. [p]i highly recommend it though. .

• Unknown
    Options
    Julie,
    Planked Salmon (on a shingle) is by far one of the easiest way to cook it. We refer to it a the lasy man's (person) way of fixin it.
    We buy untreated shingles at the home improvement center and cut the thin end off the shingle, we make the filet size about 2 inches all around smaller than the shingle. Place it skin side on the shingle
    We also soak the shingle's in red wine and water for a couple of hours.
    We have tried it with home made rubs, purchased rubs, and salad dressing (like italian) and we have never had a bad experience yet.
    Keep a spray bottle of water handy, sometimes the shingle will catch on fire around the edges, just spray it and put the fire out.
    When the salmon is firm to the touch in the midle it's done.
    Try it you will like it.
    Pete

• ScottinKC
    ScottinKC Posts: 29
    Options
    Julie,[p]- brush with olive oil
    - cracked black pepper
    - kosher salt
    - fresh dill
    - brown sugar[p]350 degrees on a cedar plank (soaked) for 35-40 minutes.[p]bullet proof recipe