Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo Results

BillyV
BillyV Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think my first attempt turned out quite tasty. But I'm at a disadvantage. I've never had gumbo before. So, I'm not really sure what a true gumbo chef would have thought. And, it seems to me, that the roux is key. I didn't scourch it but was it cooked long enough? It wasn't quite as dark as "cocoa". Bottom line, we liked it.
Thanks for the help,
Bill

Comments

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    BillyV,
    try cooking your roux to a slight darker color than peanut butter, after you add the onions and peppers, it will darken because of carmelization to a cocoa color. Just lower your fire source while stirring in veggies and let it cook.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    Chef Wil, have you tried freezing the gumbo. i liked it so much poured over bisciits, pancakes and beef hash, that i would like to bring a batch of precooked gumbo on a camping trip.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • BillyV,
    The Roux is the key- its what makes it thicken.
    Scorching the roux doesn't usually happen from overcooking- but rather not stirring. I'v always made roux with very high heat and very quick, continuous stirring. There are several levels of coloring a roux can have.Traditionally a light roux is used with dark meats such as beef and duck. A dark roux is used with sweet, light meats such as pork, rabbit and veal, and also with fish and shellfish. And a black roux is best for gumbo.
    This is how I make my roux. . .
    In large heavy skillet, heat oil to smoking. Using a long-handled metal whisk or wooden spoon, gradually stir in flour, whisking constantly. (If black specs appear in the roux as it cooks, it has burned and cannot be used. If you feel it's getting away from you, remove it from the heat until you have control of it.) Continue whisking until roux reaches the desired color (medium-brown shown here). Immediately remove from heat to stop the cooking process.

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    fishlessman,
    gumbo freezes well as long as you have a good thick container or freezer bags.

• don't count on that...heavy pans hold heat a looooong time. will never forget the time that i ruined a perfectly good batch of roux that way...grrrrrrrrrrr[p]be careful how vigorously you stir...they don't call it "cajun napalm" for nothing.[p]wanting gumbo now..mmm