Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Corned Beef Cooking Question

Options
Mac  in NC
Mac in NC Posts: 287
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife has asked me to cook up a commercial corned beef roast tonight. I've always done the traditional method of boiling it in the pot of water but tonight I'd like to try it on the Egg. My question concerns the spice packet. What do I do with it? Should I rub it into the meat or just toss it in the trash. Maybe use a drip pan and add spices and water? Should I add smoking wood? [p]If you've had positive results, I'd love to hear from you. This is a new one for me. Mac

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Mac in NC ,
    I'v never smoked a corned beef, but you couldn't do anything worst to it than boiling it. . . .yuck. . .sorry- but being Irish, I'v had enough of boiled meats!
    If you do it on the egg (which I haven't yet) I think lower temps around 300 would be good, indirect- and for the magic. . . lie some bacon on top! Nothing beats self-basting with pork fat![p]

• Bob V
    Bob V Posts: 195
    Options
    Mac,[p]I tried one on the Egg with mixed results. I soaked it first for about three hours, changing the water twice, to try to remove some of the salt. Then I patted it dry, dusted it with a mix of chipotle peppers and black pepper (lightly). Put it on the Egg over an inverted platesetter at 250 internal with hickory.[p]My intention was to try for a kinda Southwestern pastrami, and my choice of cook was to cook it like a brisket - go for low and slow, try to hold in the 160-180 plateau, remove at around 195-200.[p]The meat I had - in a bag from the local grocery store - had no fat cap. Even when it got to 195 it was still tough and beginning to dry out.[p]I ended up salvaging it as corned beef hash, but it wasn't what I'd call a successful experiment. [p]Good luck - hope you find a way.
    Bob V

• Mac  in NC
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas, guys. I've elected on smoking with apple wood @ 300* for about three hours. A nice sprinkle of Dizzy Pig coarse grind for added flavor. I forgot to soak it so I hope the salt content isn't too high. It's got a nice fat cap so I'm not worrying about it drying out. I figure it will be ready around 7:30 pm (right around the time my wife arrives home). I'll let you know the results. Mac
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    Mac in NC ,[p]Sorry I didn't read this sooner, so I could be some help, but you're doing great by yourself. '-)[p]I cook commercially corned beef whenever I can find them on sale. Sunday, I just cooked 2 that had been in the freezer since the *after St. Patrick's Day* sales. If you can find it, corned points are better than corned flats. It *is* brisket, after all.[p]Comes out sort of like Pastrami, but I think better.
    I usually cook them like a brisket, low and slow, but your 300° shouldn't hurt a thing. As a matter of fact, I was in a hurry yesterday and cooked at about 280° to 310°. I used Dizzy Dust (regular) with added Turbino sugar yesterday.[p]Soaking...I usually soak, changing the water several times, but I didn't yesterday, I just rinsed the meat a couple of times, and it's not really too salty (I'm eating a sandwich as I type this).[p]BOB

• Mac  in NC
    Options
    BobinFla,[p]Thanks for the reassurance! I never did rinse the meat because I'm so used to boiling it. If it comes out too salty, I'll make a pizza or something. My wife can't seem to get enough salt so I'm not too worried about her tastes.
    Do you pull at 200* internal or just wait to see if it gets fork tender?[p]Mac[p][p][p][p][p]

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Bob V,
    Sounds like my one experience.[p]Mike in MN

• BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    Mac in Nc ,[p]Fork tender. I start checking at about 185 or so.[p]WELL????[p]HOW WAS IT? Great, I'll bet.[p]BOB