Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick temp sensor

Inksmyth
Inksmyth Posts: 308
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Having a problem with the base unit not transmitting updates on a regular basis. Is this a common problem with the Redi Chek or do I have a dog?
Any recommendations for a better unit?

Comments

• I've had 2 of them, and they seem OK up to about 50 feet. Over that, I haven't had much luck.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

•  
    Some people hate the Maverick and some love it. I am in the latter.

Is the problem with the Tx unit or the Rx unit. If you can see the temp updates on the Tx - it is working fine. If the Rx updates when very close to the Tx than all is working fine and you need to look at the distance the Rx is from the Tx and or obsticals between the Tx & Rx.

GG
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    My Maverick works better at home than my cell phone does. I've never had a problem or lost a signal with mine, but like GG mentioned - people seem to either love them or hate them.
  • Inksmyth
    Distance is not the problem. I am less then 25 feet away. The transmitter shows correct temps, it just doesn't transmit on a regular basis. You can have the 2 units sitting next to each other and the receiver holds the old temp for an extended period of time. on The red light on the transmitter does not blink and the update icon on the receiver does not flash. The unit used to work great, had it about 6 months. I can reconnect the units by turning them off and then back on. They reconnect and work correctly for a while, then stop.
  •  
    Gary, only 50' line or thorugh walls and stuff?

One thing to think about is if the Tx is outside and it is going through some brick, water barrier, insulation studs and dry wall at a 90° angle then the thickness is something like 14" or so. However, if the Tx is at a 20° angle to the Rx then the thickness of the wall in effect increases. Of course if there is a window the signal can pass through there.

Here are some things you can to do improve Rx range. Make sure the Tx & Rx are close to the same angle, vertical or horizontal.

Take some aluminum foil or for something more sturdy take a soup can and cut the soup can open vertically. Open the can up to form a wide "C" shape line the can with aluminum foil.

Place the Tx in front of the can/foil to about where the end of the "C" is. 3" to 5" you may need to play with the distance.

This reflector behind the Tx unit will direct the entire transmitting signal to the front of the reflector. The back of the reflector will have very little distance or no distance available. Sides of the "C" will be limited and the opening of the "C" will be very strong. What you have done is make a directional antenna.

This works great for routers also.

GG
  • Kenny 13
    Kenny 13 Posts: 321
    I wonder if maybe that's a sign your batteries are going bad?????? Just a thought.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Inksmyth, I live in a house that has 7" thick rock exterior all around. The maverick will not work very well inside the house because of my thick exterior rock walls. It will work just inside the door and by the window and it works very well outside. I mainly use mine outside close to the sending unit unless I go out to the garage then I take it with me. Is it possible the extreme cold is hard on your batteries? I don't know if there is a better unit unless you go with a Stoker pit controlling unit and use your IPhone to remotely control your pit. Tim
  •  
    Tim, what angle is the egg to where you place the receiver.

I was doing some reading about antennas with regards to routers and something came up that was interesting. A wall can be (example) 10" thick at a 90° angle. However, when at an angle to the wall the thickness will expand as one gets further away from that 90°. The signal is, for the most part, not directional but placing a reflector (even aluminum foil) behind the router (maverick) can/will direct the signal to the front of the unit. The amount of direction will depend on the curvature of the of the reflector.

I have tested this with a ham radio using a signal strength meter and the reflector makes a significant difference. There is no reason the same action wouldn't provide more of a directional antenna with higher signal tx strength forward.

GG
  • Inksmyth
    That's what I thought. Changed them. I am wondering if cold outside temp is affecting the batteries.
  •  
    My ET-73 is outside 24/7/365 and hasn't affected the operation of the Maverick. I also have a long life on the batteries. I use the Maverick on most all cooks and I use the egg often.

Take a minute and call Maverick service and explain the operation of the units. They will tell you the possible problems and possible just replace the unit entirely.

GG
  • Thanks Gramps.

Now that I have my Stoker connected to a wireless bridge, I don't need the remote capability anymore from the Maverick. I just wonder why Maverick couldn't make their equipment transmit as well as my Airport Extreme.

Cost, I'm sure. But, they should offer a unit with better range (for a higher price).

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Inksmyth
    I think I will do that.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Hey Kent, Here is a pic of my transmitter and receiver. In the past I would have the transmitter on it's stand but I was not doing that here. When I face my egg my house is directly behind me. I read your other responses so I will rig up an antenna and give it a try. I even have some direct TV satellite dishes I could play with different configurations and see what I come up with. :) Tim

I need to give Maverick Ind. a call anyway. They promised me replacement probes before Christmas and I have called them twice since and have been told they will have to look into it and I was to wait to see if they will come but nothing so far.

000_1050.jpg

Maybe you can tell in this picture where my egg sits and the house wall opposite the egg and the rock itself.

000_0915.jpg
  •  
    It seems some of the Maverick's have different performance levels.

My ET-73 receiver will read the temps anywhere in the house, main floor and basement, garage and anywhere in the yard and further.

I also have a Maverick single probe remote that won't Rx into the bedroom, I have to leave the Rx in the hall.

The wireless connection with the Stoker sure makes it a lot more fun to use, I don't use the Maverick with the Stoker either.

One can have anything they want as long as there is enough money thrown at the device.

GG
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    A low battery will give you the same symptoms.
  • For what it's worth, I had a similar problem, talked with the folks at Maverick and described the symptoms. They had me return the unit for replacement.
    I received my unit new as a Christmas gift and was never able to get the Tx and Rx to sync up, regardless of their locations relative to each other. Followed the start-up process. The Tx when turned-on would pulse (red light) three times and stop. The digtal display would show the Tx symbol with the red flashes. Customer service at Maverick said it sounded like a Tx problem. Just received my replacement unit, haven't turned them on yet. If you haven't contacted Maverick customer service, you want to do so.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • I have quit using the maverick but it seemed to me that the light only flashed when the temp changed and that is sometimes hard to catch at the instant it is flashing.
  • I don't know how the Maverick functions, but the customer sevice rep seemed to think the Tx wasn't performing correctly. I have an Oregon Scientific remote thermometer, it's Tx flashes red when it transmits, I assumed that was the case with the Maverick but don't know. I don't know how much trouble shooting Maverick did, if any, but they replaced the unit. Will give this second unit a try. Thanks for your input.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  •  
    Sorry for the delay in responding. I read your post about the satellite dishes and decided to go find the information on making a directional antenna for the routers.

I googled and found the link I thought needed. When I clicked to that link it was reported as the owner pulled it down. I went to a follow up link and I got an urgent message that I had downloaded some virus/trojans. I didn't want to click anything on the message screen as sometimes that just activates a download.

I got out of the screen and then proceeded to check the hard drives on this machine for problems. I went ended up completing the scans from various programs I use and at that point in time is was late. I ran another test this morning and it just completed so I felt save to get back doing things.

Anyway, I will keep looking for the exact design but the thought was the dish's is overkill. Make a parabola out of foil. If a router has 2 antenna's make two parabola's. Use some cardboard or tin to form apx. 6 inch diamater circle. The piece you want is about 1/2 of the circle to form a "C". Line whatever you use to make the support with tinfoil.

To hold the antenna in place, use a string (or rubber band) through the ends of the "C" mid heights. On the center of the string or band wrap that around the antenna to hold the reflector in place.

If I can find a template that can be printed out I will email that to you.

Kent
  • Someone mentioned these remote units were hit or miss. That surely seems to be the case. On Amazon, most reviews have as many 5 stars as 1 stars (out of 225 comments, for the ET7)
    I'm ordering one, and will hope for the best. If you see me in a tinfoil hat, assume I'm just trying to get better reception. Whether it's from the Maverick or the Mothership - your guess.