Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Monkey's Can Cook Too!

Lanier Jim
Lanier Jim Posts: 505
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well folks - the other night, I was told that even a Monkey could cook some of the things we do on the Egg - So, I thought to myself - "self, now that would be something to see". So - out I went to the nearest PetSmart and bought me not one - but two Monkeys.

First, I'd like you meet Rambo - tonights Chef
b.jpg

I said "Rambo, here's the Egg now cook some dinner. What are we having?" Rambo replied "New Zealand Lamb Chops with a Roasted Red Jalapeno Honey Sauce, Fried Wave Potatoes, Rosemary Pickled Southern Okra, and a Chocolate Tart with a Vanilla Creme filling." Naturally - the entire family drooled with anticipation...and let me tell you, Rambo can cook!

The NZ Lamb Chops before and after
b1.jpg
b2.jpg
b3-1.jpg

The Roasted Red Jalapeno Honey Sauce
b4.jpg

Plated with the Fried Wave Potatoes and Rosemary Pickled Southern Okra on Italian Dixie Grease Resistant Paper China imported from Walmart, Italy
b5.jpg

And the Chocolate Tart with Vanilla Creme Filling was simply to die for
b6.jpg

I'm telling you - get you a Monkey and enjoy some of the finest cooks you will ever experience on the Egg. BTW - here's "Lips" and he's for sale. As you can see, he was shocked at Rambos creativity on the Egg
bb.jpg

Again - I'm telling you...GET A MONKEY if you want some great food to come off your EGG!

LJ

Comments

• keep hangin' in there, Jimmy :woohoo:
  • toothpick
    toothpick Posts: 154
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Way to go, Rambo!

What will you take for Lips? Can he at least fetch beers?
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Is this an alcohol or blood sugar related post?
  • Fetch a beer...hell, he brews it himself! Going to be tough selling little Lips after just a few hours. the bid starts at.....uhhhhhhh....FREE! :laugh:

LJ
  • Neither one...diet dew with dinner and BS in check - just having some fun and playing around.

LJ
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Great post Jim. ;)
  • Baby j
    Baby j Posts: 148
    Two questions,
    1. Does Rambo cater?
    2. Is there a recipe for the okra?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Jimmy your just not right boy.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• LoL - Yeah, Rambo will cater and accepts AMEX, VISA, or Bananas! :laugh:

We cheat on the recipe for the okra. My wife buys some hot pickled Okra at the store and I bring home a good bunch of fresh Rosemary from the company. We sautee the rosemary in EVOO just a minute to get the natural juices going...pull it off and stuff in the jar. it takes 3-4 days but the Rosemary adds some great additional flavor.
  • alton brown has an excellent pickling recipe. you can simply substitute okra for pickles
  • :laugh: BTW - you okay Mick? Boy - you had to go fast today. Also - you talked me in to the flat chicken thingy on the mini today...I"m going to give it a shot tomorrow and if it ends up looking like coal...I'll have some extra lump for the next cook. :)

LJ
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Jimmers,

Dude, I had a monkey once. Bought it in Iquitos Peru, for about 5 bucks (us$) to a little native boy. I wanted nothing to do with his 'snake in a bag' :ohmy: So the little guy was about a foot tall. (like the 'friends' monkey) I actally smuggled him back into Lima. in a plane, through customs. Frickin crazy. I was 15 yrs old. My exchange buddy Pablo was a damn comedian. He Hwhipped out about 35 words and they all laughed (customs agents) Pablo then grabbed me and we walked away. He said "Don't look back!" The little monkey was nocturnal and was starting to wiggle and make noises. Looking back..... :blush: **** SOOOOOO we get home and you shoulda seen Pablos moms face :silly: NOT GOOD. The little brother Diago scrambled off and got him a banana.....then the whole family thought he was cool. That lasted about 38 seconds. :P

Gave him "Yuka" to the doorman that let us in the bldg. :woohoo:
  • Dang Adam...I'm still laughing. Whatever happen to the monkey? I'll bet Mom had it out of the house at about the minute mark. :)

LJ
  • Ripnem
    I gave it to the doorman. We had a 2 brother crew that was in charge of opening the door for all the tenants. :whistle: I was an exchange student. We lived on the top floor 13th. Great view and all. Sept when the terrorists blew up the power towers and we had a black out for a week, the 13th blew goats.

Lots of bad terroristic shtuff happen when I was in Lima. Bombs 1/2 block away, people dyeing as they walk from work. Bad times.

Great trip though, wouldn't trade it for anything. ;)

I could go on for hours :laugh:
  • Bombs! Remind me never to go to Lima! :laugh:

LJ
  • Ripnem
    It's a must go place. no ****

Machu Pichu....

The Amazon...

The Nazca lines...

Incredible food, great beer wonderful people!

Peru is an absolutely great place to go if you can. All the really bad stuff is done. The bad guys didn't like the president Alan Garcia so much. His daughter went to our school. I toured the palace and sat in his living room with he and the 1st lady. crazy stuff on that trip man.
  • Wow - Do they have Eggs in Peru? :laugh: They probably do!

LJ
  • Yea, but don't let 'em start using your hot tub. You'll never get 'em out.

SpaMonkey-1.jpg

Spring "Monkey See Monkey Do" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Can you share the recipe or is it purchased from Walmart, Italy? Did you use a Chiptole to get the red color or did you use roasted red bell peppers. Looks and sounds good with pork.
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Jim as usual great laugh and great looking grub! How about that sauce....you going to share?
  • Roasted Red Jalapeno Honey Sauce recipe is as follows - which makes plenty for my family of 5 with leftover to dip chips in - total of 14-15 ingredients. The family calls it "Sweet Heat".

*Grill off a 10 red jalapeno peppers - remove the char/skin and seeds.

*Puree in a blinder with about a cup of water

*Pour in pot and add a cup of apple cider vinegar and 1/2 cup honey or 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar

* Add heaping tbl spoon of oregano-black pepper-crushed red pepper-dry mustard-garlic powder-and taragon

*Add 2 tbl spoons of chili powder and unsalted butter

*Add 1 cup of Ketchup

*Bring to boil for about 3-4 minutes until you see a little foam looking stuff forming on top

*Reduce heat to low continue to simmer for about 10 minutes

*Add water or ketchup until you get the consistency you want. We like it a liitle thin to really soak into the meat.

**Don't stick your nose over it to smell or you won't wake up until the following week! :laugh:
    The vinegar and heat will knock you out**

That's it...you get some "Sweet Heat" in every bite

LJ