Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Place Setter Just Broke!

UKBradC
UKBradC Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just took my place setter out of my L-BGE, leaned it against the side of my deck while I was filling it with lump and one of the legs snapped off! I keep my Egg outside, and it's pretty cold here (20 degrees F), but I wouldn't think that should matter. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Is is warranted? I've only had my egg for 5 months, the place setter for 4, so it's not from wear and tear....

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Try soame JB Weld for your PLATE setter, A term from the pottery kiln industry.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    yup!
    IMG_0806.jpg
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    JB weld is the key. I have had mine hold together well for 2 years. Just a word of caution, if you do a clean burn with the platesetter again, you may have to reattach the leg (sometimes the JB weld will burn off also)
  • UKBradC
    UKBradC Posts: 46
    Thanks for the advice! Is that stuff easy to find or will I need to special order it online?
  • RRP
    any decent hardware store will carry it. I doubt the big box stores like orange or blue do.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I get it in Ace hardware about$5 a package.
  • This site amazes me. Y'all have a fix for everything. Awsome.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Surely there is a hi temp ceramic cement out there that is designed for the temps to which these parts will be subjected. I keep reading that JB Weld will not hold. Hasn't anyone tried anything else?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Shoot! For a minute there, I thought Chubby had been to visit you. Same thing happened to my pizza stone during his visit. Break or Burn is his motto. Sorry for your loss. I hope they will cover that. Chubby would just try to convince you that the "new" angle of the plate setter will enable you to perform superhuman feats on the Egg. He reads "The Life and Times of P.T. Barnum" every night before he goes to bed. Go figure.

I'm sure you'll come out on this.

Mike
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I would imagine it's covered under warranty if not dropped or anything.
  • carry a one year warranty, we had a couple of cast iron grates break on customers at 5 and 9 months and they were covered by BGE and we replaced them. We have to submitt photos to our distributor then they file the claim with BGE and we get parts to replace them. In the meantime if you were my customer id give you a new PS and get the warranty one when it comes in, can take a month or 2 unfortunately.

Call the shop you bought it from! If you keeping a doog relationship with them you shouldnt have a problem. Most of our eggheads we see back in for supplies now and again. thats the fun part! TALKIN BBQ!!!!!
  • RRP
    Actually Rutland makes a couple different refactory cements that I imagine would be even better than J B Weld. OTOH seeing that J B Weld works fine and is rather easy to find all over the US vs Rutland products which are only carried in colder regions. I opted for J B Weld to fix my cracked small BGE firebox that regularly sees 700 to 770 degrees and have had no failure.
    IMG_0792.jpg
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    you may also find it at Pep Boys or Autozone.
    -Gary
    canuckland
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Thanks. I had the impression that JB Weld was "okay", but not a very long term fix. Was just kinda surprised that I hadn't seen anything better recommended.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    breaking in use is different than breaking by setting down in cold weather on a deck. Mine broke while hot when I set it down too hard on the driveway. No warranty there.
  • Better leave things to the imagination up to us!
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    JB Weld works great

platesetter.jpg

almost 2 years now and still holding

100_1600.jpg
  • I got mine half price because it was already broken by the dealer. They glued the leg back on with jb weld and it's held perfectly.
  • RRP
    I should have added that even those scattered retail stores which carry Rutland products only carry a few of them such as gaskets and cleaners, but not the big containers of refractory cement. Why buy a container weighing 2 pounds up to 10 pounds when those two little tubes of J B Weld are more than enough to fix the problem?
  • Another vote of confidence for JB Weld. I broke a leg off my platesetter after one use. Ouch! Was careless in setting it down while hot. Tried the JB Weld and it's worked fine through about 20 cooks, including a couple where I put the PS on a hot egg with outside temperature about 10 degrees.
  • I have used JB Weld for many things and it works like a champ. My concern with using it on my plate setter is whether or not the fumes or chemicals would pose a problem with the food. Am I being overly cautious?