Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bibimbap....Stoned Dinner, Korean Style (pic hvy)

Little Chef
Little Chef Posts: 4,725
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Bibimbap...An ancient and traditional Korean meal served in tremendously hot stone bowls with rice, which becomes crunchy in the bowl. (You didn't really think I meant the other kind of stone.... :silly: )

Anyways....we decided to do Bibimbap on the Egg tonight. I prepped some NY Strip steaks (I cut them into 1/2 inch thick slices) and marinated them with lots and LOTS of garlic, and a simple bulgogi marinade. And my apologies, my prep pics were lost when the data card fell out of the camera. But trust me, I think I used 20 cloves of fresh crushed garlic for 1 lb of thin cut steak.

Egg was preheated to 450*, and due to a remaining fear of thermal shock, I preheated these bowls in some boiling water, then onto the Egg to finish heating.....
021-1.jpg

Steaks on....and though the pic was lost for proof... the stones were to 480* per the infrared....(I can't believe these pics got lost..... :angry: ) CAREFULLY added some peanut oil....
023-2.jpg

Then the rice.....Can you hear it sizzle??? :woohoo:

025-3.jpg

Crispy rice may not sound to good to you, but trust me, its the best part of the meal..... ;)

Steaks off for their rest....
028-3.jpg

Served with accompaniaments from bottom left clockwise.....

029-3.jpg

The steaks....Egg pancake with Nori and black bean chile sauce.... Turnip kim chee (about 4 weeks aged and perfect!) , pickled daikon radish, Sauce of fish sauce, water, and shredded carrot, pickled fresh bean sprout, in the Center....Cilantro, Shaved Red Onion, Scallion and lime wedges.
To the lower right, wilted swiss chard and sauteed fresh shitake and oyster mushrooms.

Steaks cut on the bias, and steaming bowls of rice topped as wanted....here is Tims....

013-2.jpg

And mine....

016-1.jpg

And if you don't know what I mean by crunchy rice....
It is the bomb!!

018-2.jpg
020-3.jpg

Crunchy rice bit with Kim Chee..... :laugh:

Thanks for looking at the post, and I hope you enjoyed!! Don't know how we lost our prep pics... :angry: Sorry I wasn't able to share those with you... ;) Hope you still enjoyed. We did! :woohoo:

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Great looking meal, but did you also loose the cooking pics? How is the kona de-caf?
  • LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Wow, awesome pics. So few folks understand the treat of Korean food. Kimchee is one of my all time, top of list favorite foods, and fortunately, we have a strong Korean food influence here in west Dallas. Your pics are a real treat!

Dave in Keller, TX
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    LC, Beautiful pics of a beautiful meal.

Dol Sot Bibimbap is one of my favorites (I know it sounds like a cliche by now). I can see, you love garlic as well (I guess you better if you're going to eat Korean). You are absolutely right, the cruchy rice on the bottom is what it's all about. I'm sure it was divine.

Do you soak your stone bowls each time you use them? I don't.....I seasoned them by soaking when I initially got them, then I oiled them and seasoned like cast iron. I would hate to crack the stone.
  • Little Chef
    Thanks Dave! Here's one just for you.... ;)
    008-4.jpg
    TOO few people appreciate it!! :laugh:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    IMPRESSIVE!Had to be DELISH!
  • Little Chef
    Rebecca, Thanks! And yes, to love Korean, you must love your garlic!! :woohoo: I seasoned my bowls when I first got them by boiling to purify, then oiling and cooking in them. That firt boil was an eye opener... :blink: . But since they have been seasoned, like tonight, I can still heat the bowls in boiling water, yet the seasoning (oils) remain. No damage to the seasoning at all. I am careful to make sure the lump is burning clean on the egg, because as porous as the stone is, I would imagine it would pick up that "raw lump" flavor just as easily as a chiken. I am not willing to risk my bowls..,,so I play it safe! ;) Nice to know there are other Asian "junkies" out there....at least I know I am one!! LOL I have made soup in these several times as well...now that I know I got a good set with no fissures. I love them.
    Thanks again for the positive feedback. :)
  • Little Chef
    Must admit...Way better than Delish! B) (lot of work, but amazing meal!)
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    LC, I got a soft spot for Korean food. You cook looks terrific!! Wish I was there! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Little Chef
    Molly...Same here...actually pretty much all true (not the Americanized crap) Asian food really appeals to me. I had planned the bibimbap cook before Eenie posted last night, so all I could do was laugh!! We certainly are an ecclectic bunch of folks!! :laugh: Now if only I could find that frozen pizza crust all us Eggers supposedly use I'll be all set!! :woohoo: :silly: :whistle:
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    LC and Molly, Stay tuned tomorrow for some Vietnamese Ga Nuong Xa......it's been soaking up the wet rub since last night.

I guess I am an Asian junkie. lol :) There are worse things....I could be a Looney junkie! (God help them) :side:
  •  
    Looks outstanding LC, what a wonderful gallimaufry!

Makes me wish rice was on my diet. :(

Makes me wish I could eat with chop sticks with out putting an eye out. ;) :pinch: :blink: :(

Very educational post, thanks for sharing.

Gator

• Little Chef
    NICE!!! Can't wait to see it!! :) And yes, I am a total asian food junkie....I could eat Tom Yum Pa and Bun Bo Hue 24/7, 365..... :blush: . I have to give in though for the Beef n Taters husband... :pinch: :laugh: . Looking forward to your post. :)
  • Little Chef
    Gator...You are a riot! :laugh: :silly: Shux, even Bubba Tim still has both eyes.. :blink: ..If he can do it, you can!! Just need a quick lesson. :laugh: ;) Thanks for the kind words. :)
  • It must be my kodak taped to my cell phone because my pics and cooks never look like that! :) Awesome cook LC - when I graduate from Redneck Cooking University - I'm going to "attempt" a cook like that.

Looks great and I'm sure it tasted even better.

LJ
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Wow, and I had a pop tart for dinner. Looks great LC. :)
  • Little Chef
    Thanks Ron...This would have beat your Pop Tart for sure...no matter what flavor, frosting or not. :blush::whistle: You can actually get this dish as Super H in GA....had it there myself! They do a great job! :) Thanks again.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    That looks positively wonderful, LC. I though kimchee took even longer than that to ferment, up to a year.
  •  
    Ya, I bet Bubba Tim wears his shooting glasses. ;)

Gator

• Any good Korean resturants in the Springs? We went to a good one off of Havana, but the tore it down for a Walgreens a few years back.

Wife hates it, I like it!

Matt
    Denver
  • Very interesting! I have never seen the bowls to make crispy rice. Looks like I might have to invest. Where is the best place to pick these up.

Looks amazing!!!!

Matt
    Denver
  • Little Chef
    Thanks Jeffersonian for the kind words! Also, regarding kimchee, it depends on the ingredients of the kimchee and the season. ;) The Koreans make their kimchee based on the seasons, and the produce available during the season.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    :ohmy: :( :P :laugh:
  • Little Chef
    Matt...Santa (hubby) got these for me for Christmas. (and I must admit, I DO love them! We have had fun!) I will ask him tomorrow where he got them (I know it was online), and provide you with the info. I do know, there are many qualities out there. These, although I don't think they were super expensive, are of fine enough quality that I am still able to make soups and such in them. (I have heard stories of people adding stock or broth, and it just pours out the bottom...) So I will send you the same link because I can't be more pleased with the quality. Again, they are made of granite, so it's ultimately up to the stone itself. I will contact you tomorrow via email.

And Thanks!!! It was really amazing!! Thank you.
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    Wow... Nice dinner!!

I could definitely hear that rice sizzle :laugh:

Looking forward to seeing you again soon in March.

- Barry
  • Little Chef
    You too Barry!! Can't wait for March!! :laugh: And thanks...dinner WAS great!! Thanks for the feedback. ;)
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    After looking at all those great photos I must drive out to Super H for lunch tomorrow!!
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    LC,

That's one really neat meal. The bowls are just awesome.

Great show! ;)
  • Little Chef
    Didn't realize you were near by Super H!! It is worth the trip!! Ate at the one in Lawrenceville....and it was excellent. (You are VERY fortunate!!! I gotta do it all myself down here in My-Jammie!!! :S )
    Don't eat at the booths that show Americanized junk...look for Bibimbap, or stone bowls in the pics. They will heat the stone bowl right on the gas burner...GOOD stuff!!! :) Get RICE, not noodles.....WARNING...Totally addictive food!!! :laugh: And be sure to try a bit of the side condiments they give you WITH the rice bowl (fold it in to a little section)! Always an excellent compliment, but something you may say YUCK to if you eat a whole fork full alone.... ;) Truly...a totally addictive experience!! Please, eat an extra bite and think of me! :laugh: I wish you the absolute best with this, and hope this has prompted you to "push the envelope!" Enjoy!!! :)
  • Little Chef
    Thanks Rip! Was a fun, and very enjoyable meal!! Just still mad I don't have my prep and temp pics... :angry: . I have always been one that says if there isn't a pic, it didn't happen.... :angry: . Well...technology snuffed me on that one tonight. :laugh: Oh well....Chit Happens... :blush:
    Thanks for the compliment....it means a lot. ;)
  • Nice cook LC, thats one I well try

Ross