Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Proud new owner

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Everybody, Our local dealer (Belleville IL) decided to get out of the grill business and I bought the last BGE he had, a large one with a nest, wings, and damper for $550 (I think that was a good deal), I also bought a turkey stand, cover, and plate setter at clearance prices. Anyway, I have a center cut pork loin (4lbs) that I'd like to cook on it this weekend and would appreciate any tips--should I cook it slow, fast etc. I've enjoyed reading your posts and am glad to be a part of your happy BGE family. Joe

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Hi, Joe. You got a great deal! Cook the pork loin at 350° indirect using your plate setter. You can brine it or marinate for a couple of hours (or not) and then rub it down with your favorite seasonings. Cook to an internal temp of about 140° for med. rare. Welcome to the club![p]Jim
  • JSlot,
    Thanks Jim, I can't wait to try it---I'll let you know how it turns out. I did notice Mr Toad's recipe but that looks a little complicated for my first try---maybe next week. Joe

• Joe,
    welcome to the cult, er, i mean club. .. no, i mean cult. ..[p]anyway, one thing you can do with that pork loin is butterfly it open, rub it with your favorite seasonings, cut up and apple, and a package of stoufers wild rice stuffing (my sister's recipe), mixed with 2/3 of the required water, roll it up, wrap it with bacon, and cook it indirect over the inverted plate setter at 350 dome temp till done. .. like jslot said. ..delicious[p]and again, welcome.. .

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Hey Joe, watcha know?[p]Congratulations on a fine purchase and welcome to this fine forum and the bge family![p]For your pork loin I'd suggest rubbing it down with whatever spices you like with pork..... salt, pepper, garlic, onion powder, paprika etc...
    Get the egg up to 325 degrees or a little higher and cook, turning every so often to get an even browning until the middle of the cut reaches an internal of 140.
    The 140 will give you a pink middle and the meat will be tender. Any higher and you will start losing moister in the meat and moving toward a tougher cook.
    Pull off and cover for 20 minutes or so, carve and serve.[p]Good luck and let us know how it turned out.[p]John[p][p][p][p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy Joe,
    Welcome to the fray.[p]The link below is something I put together after a loin cook. It might have a few ideas you can incorporate into your adventure.[p]Nice deal on your egg stuff! For some reason, the food tastes a little better when you get a deal!
    Chris

[ul][li]Pork Loin cook[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks Max, that one sounds great too--I may just have to do 2 (or more) loins just to try out the recipes! Good luck on the radio tomorrow and the walk in May, and I'll keep Sydney and all the others in my prayers. Joe

• Nature Boy,
    Hi Chris, boy those pics look great--I went to your website, think I might have to order me some of those rubs. Thanks again, Joe

• WooDoggies,
    Thanks John, I'll be sure and post the results--I know it will be good. Joe

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Joe,
    Welcome to the world of BGE - you kinda "stole" that one and if your dealer didn't have the smarts to turn cermanic into gold then he/she/it deserved to go out of business!!![p] Also while you're down in southern IL there are more of us eggers scattered around Lincolnland.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Joe,
    you can't do any better than rubs by nature boy and bluesmoke (ken doesn't have a website, but he'll be happy to email you details of his rubs and sauces). . .[p]you can't do any better than dizzy pig cowlick on steaks and burgers, raging river on salmon and potatoes, and tsunami spin on chicken (just my opinion of course, others like his other rubs as well). ..[p]and from bluesmoke, his gilded splinters is great on ribs and fish, and his new witchy red is great on burgers, ribs and just about anything. . .[p]they both have sample packs they'll get to you. . .just contact them for details. ..

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    I've just spent the last 30 minutes reading the testimonials and looking at the pics and recipes on the DizzyPig website--I'm definately going to place an order. Joe

• JSlot,
    Jim, what's your brine recipe? Joe

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Thank you Joe. Glad you spent some time wandering around the site. It has been a lot of fun putting it together over the past 2 years. Qfan and I are around when you need us! Gimme a yell anytime.
    Chris[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Joe,[p]What do you mean by "wings"? Did the dealer throw in some chicken wings for your first cook, or did you get one of those new fancy flying BGE's? :)
  • BluesnBBQ,
    Wings are attachable side shelfs. Fold down when do in use. Got a set which will do until I build the table.