Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

biscuits

Options
cbs
cbs Posts: 99
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife loves "cowboy" dutch oven biscuits -- the kind you put in the dutch oven and then set in the fire and put coals on top to heat it around. We were talking about it, and it occurs to me that you might be able to do something similar in the egg. Any of you tried this or have any recommendations?[p]Thanks.

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    cbs,
    I've cooked biscuits and bread in my Egg a few times. Both canned biscuits and biscuits/bread from scratch. It's more trouble than it's worth but what the heck. I used my pizza setup (Plate setter and pizza stone) and put the biscuits directly on the stone. The bread I did both ways: on the stone and in a bread pan. I just do it because I'm itching to cook something. I was surprised because there was not much of a smoked flavor.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Steve-B
    Steve-B Posts: 339
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    I had the same itch last week and tried a Dill bread recipe we like. I put it right on the stone (no bread pan). The smoke taste was over powering...it could of gagged you. I left it out on the counter over night and came down in the morning and thought something was burning it smelled so smokey. As a note though, the egg was burning clean, but had a strange smell. Maybe something in the lump even though I didn't add any fresh lump from the last cook. I am going to try it again. One more point then I will stop rambling...I did notice a large piece of bark on the edge of the fire box. I wonder if that was related...[p]Steve-B

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    cbs,[p]We've done cornbread in a Lodge cast iron biscuit pan with wonderful results. Not smoky at all, but each time I've done them, I let it burn clean before adding the bread. [p]Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]Lodge Biscuit Pan[/ul]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    cbs,
    my daughter just did a couple of pans of cornbread in the egg. .. she just used regular cake pans, set up on raised grid over inverted plate setter with dome temps identical to oven temps. . ..[p]came out delicious. . .she is going to make it for breakfast at eggfest. . .

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    cbs,[p]Try this.[p]Buttermilk Biscuits [p]2 cups flour 2 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. baking soda 1/2 tsp. salt 6 Tbsp. butter, diced small 3/4 cup buttermilk [p]Sift dry ingredients in a bowl. Drop in the butter and mix until the dough forms into pebble-size pieces. Add buttermilk. Lightly mix with hands to form a ball and knead 5 to 10 times to press any loose pieces into dough each time until they adhere and the bowl is fairly clean. Do not over knead. Wrap in cloth and let rest 10 minutes before rolling. Pat the dough out with floured hands until the dough is about a half inch thick. Cut with 2-inch round cutter and place in a 2-inch-deep cake pan. [p]Heat a No. 14 Dutch oven over hot coals and place the lid into fire for about five minutes. Use a flat rock to keep the cake pan with the biscuits off the bottom of the oven. Place the pan with the biscuits on top of rock in hot oven. With a lid lifter place the lid on top of the Dutch oven and top off with more hot coals. Bake for 5 minutes and check. It may be necessary to turn the oven slightly to cook the biscuits evenly. Should take 11 to 15 minutes to bake golden brown. Makes 20 2-inch biscuits. [p]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Our Saturday morning tradition at contests is to have ham biscuits for breakfast. We cheat a little though. Pillsbury Grands biscuits baked on a round cookie sheet at 400° indirect and some center cut ham grilled up on another Egg. The light smoke flavor makes those wop biscuits really taste like something special.[p]Jim

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    JSlot,
    That sounds good Jim.
    Larry

• Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    My favorite biscuits - [p]Crème Soda Biscuits[p]4-6 cups self rising flour
    1/2 cup oil
    1 12 0z. Can Cream Soda or Red Cream Soda ((I use A & W Vanilla Cream Soda)[p]Mix 4 cups of flour with the oil and crème soda. Add flour as necessary to make a workable dough. It will be sticky. Pour out on to a floured surface and dust the top with flour. Add just enough flour so you can roll the dough as too much flour makes for a dry biscuit. Knead and add flour as necessary to make a workable dough. Pat or roll to 1/2-3/4 inch thick and cut 2" biscuits. (Cook at 400 degrees until lightly browned.) Place in a greased Dutch oven and bake 30-40 minutes with 8 coals on the bottom and 14-18 on top.[p]Bill "Moose" Shattuck