Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stoker control --- HELP !!!

Village Idiot
Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing my first cook with my Stoker (Bourbon Smoked Chuck Roast). I set the target temperature at 225°. However, the temperature climbed into the mid 240's° and has not come down. The fan hasn't come on except for one brief time when I opened the lid for basting.

Any clues? I do have a blown gasket. Could it be sucking in air and feeding the fire? Is there a desired setting for the daisy wheel (I have it almost closed)?

stoker.jpg

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Yep, if the temp won't come down, you have air getting into the fire. Is the blower installed correctly so that the little damper inside is closed when the blower is off? It works on gravity so you can only install the blower one way.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Yes. Thanks Whiz.

I took the blower off for a second and saw that the damper is closed. I don't know how the blown gasket could be the culprit though, since it's above the fire.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Just to be sure, you have the blower oriented like this (wires on top):

blower.jpg

If you have air leaking into the cooker via the blown gasket, that air is going to circulate inside and some if it is going to get to the fire. Holding low temperatures like 225 is fairly difficult if you don't have a good sealed cooker.
    The Naked Whiz
  • I think my blower is installed OK. I guess I'll start reading the old "gasket" threads. Thanks for the help.

blower.jpg

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Gary - Looks good!

You need to slide the metal damper door closed over the screen - the screen is letting in air! Snug the metal damper door right up to the fan.

Then close your petals all the way, and stop opening the lid so often! Once the Egg is under control, open the petals a bit.

I am also gasketless, and that is not your problem.
  • Avocados
    Avocados Posts: 465
    You are probably getting air leaks around your blower/damper area.

There should be no air gaps in the lower damper area and no airflow when the blower is off and the little gravity operated flapper door is closed.

Try sliding the screen closed before installing the blower. Then slide the solid damper slider closed to where it overlaps the adapter that the blower is mounted on.

I would not suspect the gasket unless you were already having trouble controlling temps without the stoker and if you are unable to snuff out the fire with the ceramic top and closing the lower damper.

- Barry
  • I can see a potential issue in your pic. Keep the screen closed all the way, and install the fan over the screen, then move the shutter over and close it tightly over the top of the fan flange. This will protect your fan from sparks and may help improve the seal around the flange a bit.

I have a blown gasket too. When the fan is running smoke comes out of the daisy and from where the lid and body of the Egg meet. However, the temp will drop and the fan will come on when it is supposed to. I do close the daisy up almost completely because I know the poor lid to base seal will let air flow. With a good gasket and a 250 low and slow I'll have the most open daisy petal at about 1/4". With a blown gasket I have it at just a 1/8" slit.

That fire wants to get O2 anyway it can. It will suck it in from the poor lid seal or the daisy if it is open far enough. It doesn't matter that they are above the fire.

The bourbon chuck roast sounds good! I'll have to try that sometime.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Jack
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Your photo shows the screen outside of the sliding door. This is not installed correctly. The sliding door should be to the outside,
  • My dealer put it together. I'll wait until the fire dies and switch them. Thanks.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• I'm trying your collective advice right now (without meat). It'll be awhile since I fired it up to 310. Gradually going down now.

Dripping Springs, Texas.