Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first go at baby backs is underway...

Options
texasAUtiger
texasAUtiger Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
although it got started on the wrong foot...

I got a nice big slab of baby backs yesterday at the grocery, planning on making them for the football games tomorrow. Well, tonight I pop open the vacuum pack to prep them, only to be met with a FOUL smell. :sick:

Glad I opened them tonight and not tomorrow or I'd have really been POed. Made the trek back to the store tonight, swapped them out for some other ones (which smelled just like nothing when you opened them), got back and just now put a nice coating of mustard and dizzy dust.

I'll get some pics tomorrow at the start and finish of the cook to share. This is my first set of ribs on the BGE so wish me luck. My plan is basically low and slow with the platesetter. This will also be my first real attempt to get some smoke in something I've cooked, so I figure I'll throw 3 or 4 nice chunks of pecan or hickory on and see how that turns out.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Good luck to ya,, got a slab of spares going on tomorrow also.
  • whtfarmer
    Options
    Certainly glad you opened them when you did. Have never had that happen to me. Sounds like you know what you are doing. Don't forget to remove the membrane. You will love ribs on the egg. Good luck and welcome.
  • texasAUtiger
    Options
    In terms of the membrane... is it possible the slab I had didn't have one? I know I have had ribs in the past that would almost keep horizontal if you held them at one end because of the membrane but these were floppy right out the package. I dug around with my knife all over the place looking for a membrane (I have never removed one) but couldn't catch on to anything but the meat and some fat.

Does this make sense?
  • SmokinSoCal
    Options
    Did you buy them at Costco? Costco removes the membrane.
  • texasAUtiger
    Options
    Not from costco, got them at the main chain of grocery stores here in Texas, called HEB. Kinda like a huge publix (for those in the southeast).

Knowing costco removes it makes me feel better about mine tonight since I could not find a membrane.
  • texasAUtiger
    Options
    Ok gang I am about 2.5 hrs in on my baby backs using the platesetter and drip pan. What I need some input on is how I can know when to pull them.

The new Thermapen read 155 and I was surprised they were that warm after so short a period of time (and my dome temp was never higher than 250)... How much longer should I go, keeping in mind that I will not foil or 3-1-1 them or anything?

Should I shoot for a texture or a temp to pull?

Thanks for the help... this is my first go at these and what them to be good!