Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Seal

Options
belchew
belchew Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was cooking Pizza last weekend on about 600 degree and now I dont have much of a seal left. Does anyone know the temp the seal will fail at? I have cooked pizza in the same spot before but at 450 and had no damage. I dont think I have even had my egg for even one month.

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    My large the seal lasted about 2 weeks. That was early last summer. Works fine without it now.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Yours lasted a month? My first cook on my egg was pizza, and I charred my gasket pretty well. Now it's just a black, crusty, crumbly mess, but my egg cooks as well now as it did then. Don't sweat it.
  • Geo
    Geo Posts: 53
    Options
    As long as you are not leaking smoke or air you're good. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    There are numerous posts here about changing the gasket. Use the search feature of the forum to find them.

Many people cook without a gasket with no problems. I like having a gasket due to the cushioning effect from it when the lid is closed.

Most people replace their gaskets with a Nomex one which has a higher heat rating. The BGE company will sometimes send you a free Nomex gasket if you ask. Tell them how long your gasket lasted.

After changing a gasket, do a few low temperature cooks to let it settle in.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Hungry in Lilburn
    Options
    I fried my gasket on the 4th cook. put my nomex gasket on in freezing weather. it all fits now except the bottom one has a 4 inch section pulled out into fire box. I am cooking to much to repair it. Doesn't seem to effect the egg. I have been doing a low and slow at 250 all day now and no problem with temp fluctations. The EGG is very forgiving...