Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lunch on the Mini

Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Not bad. Not bad at all. No smoke in the house either. Chicken thighs with (not enough) Swamp Venom. Cold and rainy outside (where my butt is cookin' on the Large). Nice and dry inside. Will definitely do this again... maybe that 10 lb packer I have in the freezer. :lol:

4288784976_7f6ec45ac4_b.jpg

4288043589_3a0d8bd173_b.jpg

4288043799_3910278378_b.jpg

4288043681_74c9861fec_b.jpg

4288044013_4116dd3f59_b.jpg

4288043927_aa427ab7e4_b.jpg

4288785556_90d486a4ed_b.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Chicky looks great!

How long have you had your mini?
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Carolina Q
    Thanks! About 20 hours. :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    I'm glad it worked out. Chicken looks great! When the neighbors walk by their going to wonder what kind of wood you're burning in the fireplace.
  • looks like a great set up!
  • Carolina Q
    Thanks. I like to keep 'em guessing. I was just happy that I couldn't smell it from INSIDE the house! :) It was cherry, btw.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Why thank you, Ray! :) I appreciate it!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Angela
    Angela Posts: 543
    That is too cute. ok and a great idea about the fireplace.

I'm going to have to get a mini one of these days.
    Egging on two larges + 36" Blackstone griddle
  • I thought it looked suspiciously clean on the inside!
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    That is cool. Good Job!
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • Carolina Q
    It's a little darker now. Just wait til I smoke that packer! :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Great looking cook Michael. Looks like the cook went well if your fireplace too.

Kent
  • Carolina Q
    Woodbutcher was there first. :) Unless you count my flower pot. Thing about the pot though, there's no real fire, just smoking chips. With this, it draws more air, has the potential for 7-800* and, I assume, will flashback on ya if you're not careful. I have to admit, I was a little nervous. Probably will be again when I TRex my first steak. But TRex, I will!

I would have preferred a small, but I really liked the fireplace idea. Mini fits, small does too... unless I want to actually OPEN the dome! :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Well, relatively cool anyway. Only 400*. Thanks.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Now you have to call Tom and get your mini woo at
    1 3/4 tall. That extra heigth is nice.
    IMG_0908.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Thanks, Kent... will definitely do this again!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    That looks like a tasty lunch,maybe I can get my wife to curl up next to a nice warm EGG.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Carolina Q
    I may just do that. I already have the 2 Amazon pizza stones on order. Gotta figure out how to use 'em though.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Just get out the bearskin rug and a bottle of vino.

And oysters. :lol: :evil:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Michael one sits on the holders on the bottom and the other pizza stone sits on top of my grill. (that's how I do it)
    IMG_0921.jpg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Hey Michael! Nice innovation. I'd kind of like eggin' in the family room with the big screen :) .
  • Carolina Q
    Thanks, Mickey. ISTR you have the 10" grid. Parts are different for the smaller grid aren't they? If I decide to get one, I will definitely call the store.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Thanks, Bill. I'd like that too. But while the TV is in the Family Room, the fireplace is not. At least I finally found a use for the Living Room! :lol:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    You got to love those rooms you have to have, BUT do not use after all :ohmy:

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    You used it!! Great! What are you thoughts about it? Way different than your large, huh? That last pic is great!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Carolina Q
    Well, I was gonna use it as a paperweight, but decided to cook on it after all. Of COURSE I used it! :)

My thoughts? Keep in mind this is after only one cook...

Pretty cool being able to cook on an egg indoors.

Takes very little lump to fill.

Lights the same as the large. Takes a bit less time to get to temp and stabilize, though it still took a while. First timer maybe?

Will be great for small cooks.

Lower vent is sloppy, but I can fix that (assuming it's not supposed to be sloppy). That said, temp got to where I wanted it and pretty much stayed there.

Hinge and handle SUCK. A lot. Dome goes sideways every time I open it. Shouldn't have to use two hands to open and then lock the dome. Or does that get better after it gets broken in? Bail handles are for buckets.

Nest only moderately better (egg moves every time I open the dome).

Nowhere near as solid feeling as big brother.

Did I mention I liked being able to use it indoors? :)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Oh My:

Haven't been checking the board much recently. My new home has a fireplace and my large is on a spot that can get muddy. A mini in the fireplace is tempting.