Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tel-Tru Thermometer: Which one to get?

Options
Fairalbion
Fairalbion Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I need to replace the original dome thermometer in my Large BGE. I want to get the 200°-1,000° Tel-Tru but it seems to me that the 5" stem is too long (original BGE model is 4"). Has anyone else had a problem with this? Would the Tel-Tru with the 2" stem be better?[p]Advice and opinions welcome.
Happy Easter to all.

--
Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)

Comments

• Caney
    Caney Posts: 36
    Options
    Fairalbion,[p]I have the thermometer probe inserted through a wine cork. You could cut the cork to have the probe extend into the egg as much as you want. My temps have always been correct it seems. Cooks have always turned out great.[p]You might try it, just a thought.[p]Caney[p]
  • WilliamH
    WilliamH Posts: 57
    Options
    I have the 2 inch stem. It works great.

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Fairalbion,
    I have both the 5" and 2" from Tel Tru. Depends on what I am cooking re; on raised grid or size of meat. In the past, I had trouble with the stems if the meat was to high up in the dome. I also use a wine cork on the thermometers(Both-long and short) to keep it off the Egg so that the heat doesn't raise the temp.
    Hammer

• Fairalbion,
    I have the bq300 4 inch stem and the ut300 4 inch stem with 3 inch dials, I really love there quality products. During checkout put bge404 in the promo code and you will receive a 15% discount. Enjoy Joe V