Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilling salmon

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'd like to try Egging some salmon fillets (skin on). I'm thinking of grilling skin down at 350F with a bit of apple wood smoke - how long would it take to cook, say, a 1 inch thick fillet, and how do I know when it's done? Thanks for any help :)[p]Jake

Comments

• MerlinEgger
    Options
    Aussie Jake,
    I've always followed the recipe on TNW's website. I do usually put my filet in a basket and then on a raised grid. The time is usually 12 min., flip, then 13 more at 375. Link is below if you want more details.

[ul][li]TNW salmon recipe[/ul]
  • Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    Aussie Jake,[p]I have had great success doing salmon fillet the easy way, at 250 for about 45 min. It does not sound like a high enough temp, but it is. It is done when you poke at it with a finger and it does not feel like jelly. I don't flip it.[p]And I usually do it on a fine-mesh grill-topper, with slices of lemon or orange under the fish -- that way, the fish does not stick, and it is very easy to lift off with a spatula.[p]Also, I don't even marinate the fish -- I just sprinkle on some season salt. I also use several wood chunks in the fire, so the fish absorbs the smoke.

• AZ Geoff
    AZ Geoff Posts: 66
    Options
    Aussie Jake,
    I have cooked this salmon recipe 3 times in the last month - it turns out great everytime!!![p]http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/newRecipes/seafood0151.htm

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Options
    Aussie Jake, Since I know you're dying to experiment w/your new temp rings, here's how to do smoked salmon. I did 2lbs last night for appetizers today.[p]Make a brine out of 1 quart water, 2 tablespoons kosher salt, 2 tablespoons molasses, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 2 crushed garlic cloves. You can add virually anything to this. [p]Put the brine in a non-metal bowl or dish, submerge the filets, and refrig for 2-12 hours. [p]Rinse the filets in cold water, pat dry and let air dry for 1 hour. At this point you can also add seasonings or rubs, or not.[p]get egg going steady at 225. I was using #2 ring last night. Smoke indirect on grill or raised rack for 3-5 hours to internal temp of 165.[p]Couple more things. I skin the filet after brining, before smoking. I use alder chips, about a handful for smoke. I serve w/crackers and tabasco.[p]By the way, did you ever plant peppers? Wasnt that you asking about peppers a few months ago?[p]Cheers from Florida, Scott[p]